Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Can you send this question to a neurologist? Last year I had…

Can you send this question...
Can you send this question to a neurologist? Last year I had a cervical spine infection and lung abscess and the hospital injected me with isotopes to see where the infection was located. I was on antibiotics for six weeks six times a day and now my hair is falling out by the handful and I was just wondering if the isotopes could be at fault or antibiotics?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/21/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)

Hello -

No, the "tagged white blood cell" scan to look for infection would not have anything to do with your hair falling out at this time.

Nor would it be with the antibiotics that you took last year.

This could be an issue with alopecia:

https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/hair-and-scalp-problems/alopecia-areata

And there are a number of potential causes for other kinds of hair loss:

male pattern balding,

chemotherapy induced

infections of the scalp

tinea capitus

traction alopecia

and others.

It would be more helpful if you were seen by a dermatologist for evaluation.

Best of luck.

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)