Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Here is the scan of my mother in law's brain. She is

Dear Doctor Here is the scan...
Dear Doctor
Here is the scan of my mother in law's brain. She is suffering from Melanoma. We are making a decision at the moment as to whether to start Keytruda. Doctors are telling us that Keytruda usually makes metas swell up (bigger) and we were wondering if these metas become bigger, wouldn't that mean she would be in significant dangerous judging by the location? or the locations would suggest we can afford the impact of Keytruda on metas? Thank you
3/21/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

wow, she had a lot of brain mets from melanoma

she needs to be on dexamethasone steroid pills, 4mg 3-4 times a day with food to help decrease swelling in her brain

yes, she can go on Keytruda

if they mets progress, she could die from her cancer

but there are not a lot of great options

she can also get stereotactic radiosurgery to her brain metastasis, but she has so many mets in her brain.

Thank you, ***** ***** is a lot of mets, yes, unfortunately. They recommended who brain radiosurgery, but they cannot start it yet as she does not feel well. So you do not think swelling of the mets from Keytruda in itself would kill her? Thank you

it sounds like they recommended whole brain radiation therapy which treats the whole brain and is not radiosurgery

they most likely recommended whole brain radiation therapy.

the swelling in the brain with kaytruda could kill her

but there is a chance the kaytruda could work and shrink the cancer in her body

it depends on her immune system and her body.

the dexamethasone steroid can help decrease some of the swelling in the brain.

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Thank you

you are welcome

You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com