Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Dr are you available for a question? We have spoken about my…

Dr Mark are you available...
Dr Mark are you available for a question? We have spoken about my perimesencephalic sah a couple of times and current symptoms I am having. In addition to occasional balance problems and other “brain fog” I am now sometimes feeling strange sensations in my legs at home. Still worrying I am having mini strokes even though if I watch a video of a tia it doesn’t look like ehat I am experiencing. I’m just putting all my symptoms together in my mind and they sound like the symptoms of stroke. I do t knownif im having anxiety and ptsd or if something bad is happening to me.
3/21/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)

Hello again -

What are the strange sensations in the legs? Tingling, weakness, etc?

Are they in both legs at the same time?

Not exactly like tingling - like you would feel when something “falls asleep” and wakes up - but more like a very mild tingling sensation. I feel it as like a mild “rush” in both upper legs at times and then my left foot and I believe in my right foot too. I have to say I am hyper aware of all my body sensations. But my balance has been weird for a few days and I am not sure if that’s from xanax or just anxiety or something else. At times I feel ok and then have other times when I feel strange.

OK.

Have you ever had issues like this before?

Have you had MRI imaging of the lower back / lumbar spine?

I have not had issues like this before. I had an mri of my neck when I was in the hospital for the sah last year. I may have had one of my spine at some point but not recently.
I don’t know why I’m equating my sah to having a stroke. You’ve told me they aren’t related but I don’t know what else to think because of the symptoms I am having. Unless part of what I’m feeling is residual from the sah - I did have some of these problems in the weeks after my sah butnits been 8 months now.
I can better describe the feeling in my legs - it’s like the feeling you get when you are cold (sort-of) and the feeling in the foot is more tingling feeling....

OK.

Well -- issues in the legs like you describe -- both legs -- aren't caused by a stroke.

This is because issues in the brain will affect a single leg at a time, not both.

So a temporary issue with feeling strange in the legs could be either a circulation problem, or an issue with the nerves in the lower back. But it could be anxiety as well.

So, rest assured it is not a stroke.

If this continues to occur, then your doctor would probably investigate further with MRI of the lumbar spine.

let’s say it is on the left side only (I don’t think it is but it’s pissible) would a stroke or mini stroke cause the symptoms on and off for days? I don’t know why I’m so fixated on having a stoke just because I had a SAH. Like currently I feel some slight tingling in my left hand and left foot and my left ear feels clogged. This is why my worry supersedes my rationale.
Woildnthe aymptoms be different if these were mini strokes?
Also all the brain tests I had 8 months ago - angiogram, MRI/MRA, CT - these are all reassuring for something that would be happening now.
You’ve already told me having a SAH doesn’t increase risk of other strokes,
Right?....

A stroke wouldn't cause it because a stroke would cause permanent symptoms.

A ministroke is unlikely because that would not be a on and off for days type of thing. It would be a on, then off one time thing.

Having the SAH would have increased your risk of strokes at the time of the bleed, in particular the first 21 days, but after that, the blood has been reabsorbed, and you are not at any higher risk than you ever were.

Ok. And the fact that I need almost constant reassurance (thank you dr Mark) coupled with the fact the Xanax gives me relief - on top of all the tests I’ve had, makes me believe there is a huge anxiety component here.
I appreciate you help - very much.
Sorry for the typos.

Yes, glad I could help.

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)