Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Brain scan indicates ventricular and cortical sulci atrophy…

Customer Question
Brain scan indicates ventricular...

Brain scan indicates ventricular and cortical sulci atrophy - could you discuss this.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

Not at this time- it was just diagnosed.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Atrophy is mild at this time-also microischemic changes in periventricular region.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/21/2018
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 1 month ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you have questions related to the findings of brain mri scan. As a Neurologist I am very familiar with these types of brain mri scan findings, and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Based on the information provided by you the brain mri scan shows - ventricular and cortical sulci atrophy & microischemic changes in periventricular region.

First coming to the definition of the various terminologies they have used in the brain mri scan;

Cortex (Cortical - the adjective form), also called as Cerebral cortex is a thin layered structure, and it forms the outermost region of the cerebral portion of the brain. It has a greyish appearance. Cerebral cortex contains various types of brain cells such as Neurons and Glial cells etc.

Its surface has a wrinkled appearance and this is due to the presence of what are called as sulci and gyri – which are discussed below

Sulci (Sulci is a plural form and its singular form is sulcus) – sulci are depression or groove, or furrows present in the cerebral cortex. It surrounds a gyrus (pl. gyri, and these are folds of brain tissue that is located between the sulci) creating the characteristic folded appearance of the brain in humans and other mammals.

The brain mri has indicated there is some atrophy of the cerebral cortex but it appears just mild in severity, so nothing to panic

Coming to the other finding of microishcemic changes in the periventricular region;

Ischemia is the term used for reduced blood supply

Micro term is used because during this condition only the tiny arterial branches are affected but not the large arteries, so the reduced blood flow can affect only tiny or micro areas of the brain, so this condition does not cause any major or severe or serious forms of damage to the brain tissue, and also this is not considered as stroke.

Periventricular means – around the ventricles - ventricles are large cavities normally present in the brain and these are normally filled with a fluid called as CSF (Cerebrospinal fluid).

So the ischemic changes are seen around the ventricles

The microischemic changes are usually due chronic medical conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol. Or high triglycerides etc

If any of the above medical conditions are present then these need to be treated appropriately and this will help in preventing the progression of the above finding

If there is history of smoking then it needs to be quit since smoking too can affect the blood flow through the arteries and reduce the blood flow

In addition to the above recommendations the following life style modifications too will help in treating & preventing any further progression of the atrophy and microischemic change of the brain;

Daily exercises

Eating healthy and balanced diet such as Mediterranean diet along with another special healthy diet called as DASH diet and these types of diets contain the following features;

Eating low animal fat

Eating adequate amounts of healthy vegetable source fats

Eating whole grains/cereals/pulses

Avoiding milled grains/cereals

Eating lots of fruits

Eating lots of vegetables, especially green leafy vegetables

Consuming antioxidants

Consuming fiber rich diet

Eating less salt (sodium) etc

To summarize once again;

1) There is only mild brain atrophy and this is not considered serious in nature

2) The microischemic change too is not considered serious in nature

3) The mild brain atrophy as well as the microischemic changes can be treated & prevented from any progression in the future with controlling the medical conditions such as the ones mentioned above (if there are any), and also quitting smoking (if there is history of smoking), if there are no such medical conditions or history of smoking etc then the above mri findings are just considered as age related changes

4) The earlier mentioned life style modifications too will help in treating & preventing the progression of the above mentioned findings

5) And I also want to reassure you, the above type of findings seen in the brain mri scan are not indicative of any serious or permanent damage, and the above mentioned life style modifications, and keeping the medical conditions (if there are any) under control and avoiding smoking (if this is applicable) etc will help in treating and also preventing any future progression too of these conditions, so please not to be scared.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, once again I reassure you the above mentioned findings in the brain scan are NOT pointing towards anything serous in nature as discussed earlier above. Do you want to discuss further the brain scan findings you have mentioned above, or are there any other health concerns that you want to discuss?

Please let me know

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)