Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have severe central stenosis and severe spinal cord

compression with complete CSF effacement...
I have severe central stenosis and severe spinal cord compression with complete CSF effacement transaxially. Significantly worsened since 2016. Severe biforaminal stenosis, advanced arthritis, small foraminal protrusions, still worse on right. This is C3-4 per cervical MRI. I have had ACDF C4-7 in 1996, appears to be solid consolidation.
I woke upFeb. 7th with both hands numb, lack of fine motor coordination and both legs lack of control. I have unstable gait. My neurosurgeon cannot see me until April 24th. I am concerned about my prognosis if I have this delay. What do you suggest?Are my concerns valid?
3/21/2018
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi Kathy, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about your health as you have described above. As a Neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation, and I can certainly help you in this regard.

I see you have been having spinal issues including severe central stenosis and severe spinal cord compression and other findings as you have described above, and since February 7th you have been having lot more symptoms as you have described above and I see your neurosurgeon cannot see you until April 24th

But please see with the types of symptoms you have been having it is important you are seen by your neurosurgeon asap, and waiting till April 24th is the most prudent thing to do now

We need to find out whether there is further worsening of spinal cord compression

These types of new symptoms you have been having since February 7th may indicate there is possibly further progression of the spinal cord compression in the cervical spine region (also called as cervical myelopathy) and this needs more urgent intervention, so it is indeed better if you could be seen by the neurosurgeon sooner than April 24th

So what you may try to do is to insist your current neurosurgeon to give an early appointment

If early appointment is not at all available then try to see another neurosurgeon that may have an early appointment

And in the meantime try to use a hard cervical spine collar such as Philadelphia hard collar which will limit the neck movements and prevent further damage to the spinal cord

And also ask your dr to prescribe a course of steroid which can help in reducing the swelling or irritation of the spinal cord and help in reducing the symptoms and also help in preventing further progression of the spinal cord damage.

Once again to your main question, yes, in these circumstances it is important you are seen by a neurosurgeon asap so instead of waiting for April 24th appointment see whether you could get an earlier appointment if such early appointment is not available then try to see another neurosurgeon who may have such early appointments, and in the meantime try to minimize neck movements as much as possible and also try to use a Philadelphia hard collar to the neck/cervical spine, and also try to use a course of steroid to reduce the spinal cord irritation, swelling/edema and also to help in preventing any further progression of the symptoms.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Thank you very much for your quick response.

You are very welcome Kathy! My pleasure! I am very glad you found the above information helpful!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Wishing you all the very best!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)