Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I recently went to the optometrist who said I had a slightly…

Customer Question
I recently went to...

I recently went to the optometrist who said I had a slightly elevated optic nerve and referred me to a neuoro-ophthalmologist to do a B-Scan to rule out Drusen. I asked her if this is cause for concern like a brain tumor or a mass she said no but that she would like to get a baseline. I am worried that it could be something major. Would she have been able to tell if I had major neuor health concerns through a Full eye scan?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Eye floaters, dry eyes, recent blood work (CBC) was all good

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Neurology
3/20/2018
Neurologist: Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD) replied 4 months ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)

Hello -

The slightly elevated optic nerve could be a sign of increased intracranial pressure.

Could -- is the key word, and so your optometrist is obligated to tell you to followup with a neuroopthalmologist.

The brain imaging is to rule out specific things such as a brain tumor or other issues -- but realistically -- if you had a brain tumor that was large enough to be increasing pressure in the brain -- you would have other neurologic issues already, like weakness or numbness on one side, or speech difficulties, or balance issues, or headache.

Given that you don't have any symptoms, it is very unlikely that you have a brain tumor or anything concerning.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!