Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Subbanna only. Well I have yet another question. I’ve been…

This question is for Dr...
This question is for Dr Subbanna only. Good morning. Well I have yet another question. I’ve been experiencing Vertigo over the past 3-4 weeks (Its happen two times lasting about 24 hrs ). Now I’ve had this three times before, once ache ago, once 8 yrs ago and once 10 yrs ago. Along with the Vertigo I have recently had ringing in my ears, a loss of high frequency hearing, pressure in my head around my ears. If you remember I had an MRI of my brain last Nov, 4 months ago, that showed a few small tiny bright spots along with an old infarct in the frontal loab. There was also a possible Bright spot seen in the Genu region of the brain that was there before with know change seen ( this was a questionable finding, not sure it was their ). Also these small tiny bright spots had been seen before with know change. I’ve seen an ENT who has diagnosed this as Mineres Syndrome, which seems odd for my age ( I thought it was only seen in 20-50 yrs old and mostly women ). Could this Vertigo be something else like MS or a brain tumor? Do I need to get another MRI even though I just had one 4 months ago?( I’ve had at least 4-5 MRI’s of my brain over the last 2 yrs, all with the same results ). Thank you for your help.
3/19/2018
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi Todd, You are very welcome! Thanks for the question, and I am very glad to help you again with your health concerns.

I am currently preparing & typing my answer and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

At the outset I want to inform and reassure you once again that - there is absolutely no suspicion for ms or brain tumors etc in you

While I am sorry to hear you have been recently having the new symptoms such as vertigo along with other symptoms such as tinnitus (ringing sound in the ear), hearing loss, pressure in the head around the ears etc but these symptoms are not suspicious for ms or brain tumors

Conditions such as ms or brain tumors present with certain very distinct neurological symptoms such as the following;

Paralysis of the limbs

Facial droop

Double vision

Fainting or passing out

Seizures etc

You have not mentioned the above types of symptoms so the presence of the vertigo and the other symptoms alone cannot be considered secondary to ms or brain tumors, the suspicion for ms or brain tumor etc arises only if you are also having the other symptoms that I have mentioned above

And also your mri scan of the brain had never showed any ms or brain tumors etc

MS is definitely uncommon for your age, and also you are not having any brain tumor symptoms or ms symptoms

So we can analyse your case from any angle - from the symptoms point of view or from the brain mri scan point of view – but there is definitely no suspicion for ms or brain tumor etc in you

Once again I can very categorially reassure you, there is absolutely no suspicion for ms or brain tumor etc in you, your symptoms or recent mri findings are not at all raising any suspicion for ms or brain tumor, and you do not need any new mri scan of the brain again now since there is not even an iota of suspicion for ms or brain tumor in you, you are certainly not a case of ms or brain tumors, so please not to be scared.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery from all your symptoms! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

I should have mentioned that over the past 2 yrs I have fainted. I saw a cardiologist who felt it was due to my BP medication which he changed. However you did mention fainting as a symptom of MS. I did have an MRI of my brain after fainting which showed only what I have mentioned.

Please see it was in another context I mentioned fainting. The fainting you have mentioned is due to blood pressure related. I was mentioning of daily or regular fainting, especially of very recent onset. And also you did have brain mri scan done after fainting which did not show ms or brain tumors, so this fainting you have mentioned above has nothing to do with ms or brain tumors. You are 100% not a case of ms or brain tumors.

Thank you so much for your help. Do you think this occasionally Vertigo is donto Mineres Syndrome, is it possible. I did check out the symptoms of Mineres and it does sound like it except for my age

You are very welcome! Yes, it is a possibility, the occasional vertigo could be related to the Meniere’s syndrome, although your age is not very consistent with Meniere’s but the other symptoms are commonly seen in Meniere’s, but one or otherway the symptoms and the pattern of the symptoms you have been having are not at all suspicious for ms or brain tumros, and there is not even an iota of doubt in this regard.

Your symptoms are certainly not coming from the brain.

Thank you again. My first time I had this Vertigo was when I was 58 yrs old. It lasted for about 6 hrs. Then again when I was 60, it lasted about the same. Then not again until when I was 66, again for 4-6 hrs. Now I’ve had 2 episodes, one about 2-3 weeks ago and one yesterday. I’ve noticed the severe ringing in my Yrs for the last yr, with loss of some hearing, not bad.

You are very welcome! One thing I can say with 100% certainty is this vertigo is not at all related to any brain issues, including ms or brain tumors etc. This is not at all the way ms or brain tumors present. Your symptoms are secondary to some non-brain issues, it may be ear related, although the age is not that consistent but the symptoms do raise suspicion for Meniere’s, and the intermittent vertigo of this kind may also be secondary to a condition called as BPPV (Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) which as the name implies is a benign condition and it is due to movement of tiny calcium crystals inside the canal like structures of inner ear and this can causes vertigo like this. There is a treatment for this type of vertigo that is called Epley maneuver and this can help, and medications such as Meclizine or Promethazine or Dimenhydrinate also can help with this type of vertigo.

But one or otherway this vertigo is not at all coming from the brain and 100% you do not have ms, 100% you do not have brain tuomor or 100% any other brain pathologies and these symptoms are definitely coming from outside the brain, and 100% have nothing to do with your brain.

I thought BPPV only happens when you get up from a lying or sitting position and goes away once your up. I’ve done that maneuver and it hasn’t helped much. I was told when I had my ears tested that along with hearing loss in the higher frequencies the crystals in my ears were not good.

I was mentioning the various possibilities, so in your case BPPV is certainly not applicable. So meniere's is a possibility, but as I have mentioned earlier too this is not at all neurological/brain related.

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
I wish I knew what this is? Possibly allergies or chronic sinusitis. Anyway, thank you again, like always your the best.

You are very welcome! My pleasure! I am very glad you found the above information helpful!

I appreciate the compliments too!

Yes, conditions such as allergies, chronic sinus issues too can cause these types of symptoms such as recurrent vertigo etc, but as far as any neurological or brain conditions such as ms or brain tumors or any other brain pathologies are considered there is absolutely (100%) no suspicion for any such possibilities - and I can very categorically reassure you in this regard!

Wishing you all the very best!

Thanks & Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD