Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I just had a CTA brain and neck - Right neck states: Patent…

I just had a CTA...
I just had a CTA brain and neck - Right neck states: Patent dominant vertebral artery, right vertbral artery origin with too much artifact for evaluation but appears patent.LEFT Mild narrowing of right external carotid artery origin Hypoplastic patent vertebral artery dissipates before reaching the basilar artery most like variation
3/19/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)

Hello -

Did you have any specific symptoms that preceded the CTA of the brain/neck?

I have never had specific systems.. This all started with the ringing of the ears.. which lead to a MRI then an MRA and now the CTA I am attaching the results of the CTA

OK.

First - this has nothing to do with ringing in the ears.

All this is saying is that your left vertebral artery is smaller than the right side, and becomes smaller and almost non-existent before it reaches its endpoint at the basilar artery.

This just means that your right vertebral artery is the dominant artery (which happens in a lot of people - one artery is larger than the other).

You haven't had a massive stroke -- so that means that you were simply born this way - one artery larger than the other.

No specific treatment needs to be done about this, and this has no clinical significance for you.

I do not have plaque build up in my arteries nothing major showing where I need any treatments?

There is not enough plaque for the radiologist to measure -- "no stenosis".

So, nothing that would require any specific treatment.

But, certainly refraining from smoking and keeping blood pressure and cholesterol in check are always important.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)