Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have exposed to a lot of pesticides 10 months before. My…

Hi I have exposed...

Hi I have exposed to a lot of pesticides 10 months before.

Doctor's Assistant: Have your parents or grandparents had any neurological conditions? If so, who and which ones?

My mother is diagnosed of ALS

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have a some red dot in my skin and head like allegy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do the doctors think that the intensive exposure to pesticides is the main reason to the ASL of my mother and my allergy? Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what test should I do to make sure that I am still in good condition?
3/19/2018
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you are concerned about the risk of developing als as you have described above. As a Neurologist I am very familiar with this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

First of all I want to inform and reassure you please see it has not been confirmed pesticides cause als

Some studies have showed there is some increased incidence of als in those who had been exposed to pesticides

But it is just an association and not causality

Unless there is a causal relationship we cannot conclude pesticides indeed cause als

Also such exposures to pesticides need to occur for very long periods of time, for example, if at all pesticides have anything to do with als then years of exposure to pesticides is necessary, not just occasional, however intense the exposure was, or is, or will be.

For condition such as als multiple risk factors need to work in conjunction in the same individual before such risk factors can trigger the onset of als, so just exposure to pesticides alone is unlikely to trigger the onset of als.

So far not a single environmental agent has been conclusively found to be associated with als, and pesticides are not exception in this regard.

I will post an informative article here in this regard;

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/05/12/pesticide-exposure-may-increase-risk-of-a-l-s/

In the above article the following statements are made clearly so that people do not panic for no reasons;

“This is an association, not causality,”

“but we don’t want people to conclude that pesticides cause A.L.S.”

As you see above, it is not at all confirmed that pesticides cause als

In the meantime you may consider trying natural detoxification or detoxification therapies such as the following;

Adequate water intake to flush the toxins out of the body

Increase your consumption of foods that help with natural detoxification and chelation such as the following;

Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, kale and cabbage enhance the excretion of toxic metals from the body

Also, eat oat bran, onion, garlic, onion, and cilantro for natural chelation

One of the healthiest dishes to remove toxins from the body is a kitchari cleanse. You can include chopped broccoli and cilantro for extra detox – link to Kitchari cleanse & other detox related sites & articles & preparations;

https://www.ayurveda.com/recipes/kitchari

https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/6-ways-to-body-detox/

https://www.gaiam.com/blogs/discover/10-ways-to-detoxify-your-body

https://draxe.com/detox-drinks/

You may explore the above mentioned detox treatments to get rid of any toxins from the body including pesticides etc.

Pesticide exposures may cause allergies (but not als), and the above mentioned approaches can also help you in getting rid of the allergies you have mentioned above.

Once again to your main question, please see as mentioned earlier too and also as shown in the above article too, pesticides causing als has not been proven yet, so there is certainly no need to worry about your previous exposure to the pesticides causing als - however intense that exposure was; and in the meantime you may try to avoid any further exposures, and also try to eat healthy and balanced food, diet rich in fruits, vegetables especially green leafy vegetables, antioxidants, fiber rich diet etc, along with above mentioned detox preparations, and also daily exercise etc and these life style modifications will help you in building up robust body immunity to fight off occurrence of any new diseases and will also help you in maintaining a great health. And once again I can reassure you, pesticide exposure, even of intense degree has not been confirmed to cause als, so please not to be scared.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dr Subbanna! So would you please advise if any cell therapy in US can improve the ALS patient’s symptoms? If yes, could please advise

Hi, you guys please try to go through the following links and these are some centers in US where they try stem cell treatment for als;

http://usstemcellclinic.com/neurological/

https://nsistemcell.com/stem-cell-therapy-neurological-conditions/

https://stemcellofamerica.com/

https://stemgenex.com/

This is an article for some latest developments related to stem cell treatment in als;

https://www.als.net/news/2017-update-stem-cell-trials-in-people-with-als/

Please do not forget to take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you guys the best services!

Wishing you guys all the very best!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, Dr! So how long minimum does it take to develop ALS? Also when do you think that the cure of ALS will come? Thanks

You are very welcome! At this moment since pesticide exposure has not been confirmed as a cause for als, so we cannot at this moment comment on the minimum duration of exposure or minimum amount of exposure that may trigger the onset of als, at this moment we can only say pesticides have not been confirmed to cause als. The stem cell treatments are the hope for als cure, stem-cell treatment is a ground-breaking and revolutionary treatment and it has the potential to cure various neurological conditions including als etc. There is lot of progress already been made with stem cell treatments, with some more research into it, it is highly likely stem cell treatment can provide a cure for als, and in the near future.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, Dr! So could you please recommend an effective stem cell treatment medical centre? Thank you so much!

You are very welcome! You guys could contact the centers I had mentioned earlier (through the links I have posted above) and any of those centers are fine to consider for stem cell treatment for als.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
normally ALS develops over years, right?

Yes, you are correct, als develops over years. It is not an acute disease, rather it will take years for als to develop.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dr, so have you heard of positive results of stem cell therapy run by any medical? Thanks

Hi, you are very welcome! Please see stem-cell treatment appears a ground-breaking and revolutionary treatment and it has the potential to cure or significantly help many neurological conditions including als etc. But it is still undergoing clinical trials and is not made available for clinical practice yet (but the initial results have been encouraging so hopes are there it will be made available in the near future). There are some companies that have already been offering stem-cell treatments to patients unofficially (the agencies I mentioned earlier), and they have been claiming they have found the stem-cell treatment can either cure or significantly help with many neurological conditions such as als. But please see stem-cell treatment is not yet approved by any official agencies such as FDA that clears new drugs or new treatments for using in the clinical practice - so we the allopathic doctors cannot officially recommend this treatment yet for our patients. But among all the currently available treatment options stem-cell treatment is considered as the most promising & most definitive treatment for either curing or significantly helping with neurological conditions such as als, and there is a hope it will be made available in the near future once official agencies such as FDA clears it for routine use in the clinical practice.

But considering that at this moment there are no other promising treatments available to help with your mom’s health situation in the form of als, so if you guys want to explore stem cell treatment before stem-cell treatments are officially made available then you guys please directly contact the earlier mentioned agencies that offer stem cell treatments for als.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dr, please help me to save my mother, please please please!!!

Have you received the information I have provided just couple of minutes earlier above? That is the latest update on als we are having.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I see! Thanks!
You are very welcome!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
have you heard of brainstorm cell Therupitic which is a listed company in US and its products NurOwn? And what do you believe please?

While none of the approaches conducted in clinical trials have yet led to an FDA approval, there are several that are making progress. These include approaches from companies such as Neuralstem, Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics, Q Therapeutics as well as academic researcher initiated trials at the Mayo Clinic and Cedars-Sinai Medical Center

1) CNS10-NPC-GDNF (Cedar-Sinai Medical Center) glial-derived neurotropic factor (GDNF)

2) NurOwn from BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics Company - NurOwn cells aim to enhance the production of neuroprotective neurotrophic factors such as GDNF, BDNF, VEGF and HGF in the spinal cord

Have already conducted few successful phase 1 and phase 2 clinical trials and the results are considered successful so they are not either doing or about to start the phase 3 clinical trials

BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics Inc. is a biotechnology company engaged in the development of first-of-its-kind adult stem cell therapies derived from autologous bone marrow cells for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases

CLINICAL TRIAL SITES FOR DETAILS AND SCREENING

http://www.brainstorm-cell.com/patients-caregivers/clinical-trials/

Locations-

United States, California

University of California Irvine Alpha Stem Cell Clinic Recruiting

Irvine, California, United States, 92697

Contact: Robert Zhou (###) ###-#### ***@******.***

Principal Investigator: Namita A. Goyal, MD

United States, Massachusetts

Massachusetts General Hospital Recruiting

Boston, Massachusetts, United States, 02115

Contact: Taylor J Mezoian (###) ###-#### ***@******.***

Principal Investigator: James D Berry, MD

3) Q Therapeutics is expected to soon open enrolment for a clinical trial of its stem cell product (Q Cells) in people with ALS later this year at Johns Hopkins University. This study has a much more liberal enrolment criteria than many others in the past, including individuals that have had ALS symptoms for as long as 48 months

https://www.als.net/als-research/als-clinical-trials/ - a list of some trials that are being conducted in US and outside US

You may also use this web site to search for all the clinical trials currently being conducted or already completed als trials using stem cells in US as well as all over the world;

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/search/advanced?cond=&term=&state1=&cntry1=

This a list of all available studies when I entered search words “ALS” “Stem Cells”

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=stem+cell&type=&rslt=&age_v=&gndr=&cond=ALS&intr=&titles=&outc=&spons=&lead=&id=&cntry1=&state1=&cntry2=&state2=&cntry3=&state3=&locn=&sfpd_s=&sfpd_e=&lupd_s=&lupd_e=#tableTop

The advanced search provides several options including location, type of study, actively or currently recruiting the patients or not etc, and many more options to choose

If you click on the individual studies they are supposed to provide the names & contact details of the study coordinator

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks! As clinical trials are not available for no US residents, are there any option other than Clinical trails to access to the stem cell therapy of these companies?

You are very welcome! If participating in the clinical trials is not an option, then contacting the commercially available stem cell treatments appears the other option (through contacting the companies that I had mentioned earlier). Alternatively you may try to contact BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics Inc and find out whether this treatment is currently available in Australia, or will be made available in Australia in the very near future.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also it seems that Brainstorm has already started it’s phase III clinical trails in many medical centres, according to its website
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Among 3 companies which one have the best therapy please?

Yes, brainstorm cell therapeutics seems now have started als research at multiple centers, initially they had started at just couple of centers, but trials are now being conducted at more centers. Currently Brainstorms Company’s stem cell therapy is considered as the best.

Please see I have already answered in detail your original questions. The questions that you have been subsequently asking are related to the treatments for your mom and I have already provided you with lots of information in this regard too - including the current status of stem cell therapy for als, the various centers where research/clinical trials have been going on, as well as the names & contact information of various centres where such treatments are available, please rate my answer at this moment by clicking a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent).

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your time, Dr Subbanna!

You are very welcome! My pleasure! I am very glad you found the above information helpful!

Once again I strongly reassure you, pesticides are not expected to cause als, and also stem cell treatments are having a very tremendous potential for helping als patients considerably, and I earnestly hope your mom will be able to receive this mode of therapy asap to help with her als!

Wishing you guys all the very best!

Thanks & Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks so much Dr! So do you think the stem cell therapy should be done the earlier the better?

You are very welcome! Yes, it is better to strongly consider stem cell therapy - because this is the only therapeutic intervention that is available now that can have significant positive impact on this otherwise progressive neurodegenerative disease, and if you guys are considering starting this then it is also better to start it asap because this being a progressive degenerative disease so earlier the therapeutic intervention the better the outcome will be, so stem cell treatment instituted earlier is certainly the better.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok Dr! So what’s the potential risks and side effects of those stem cell therapy please?

Overall stem cell therapy has not been associated with any serious or major risks or side effects. But if possible try to get her recruited into one of the standard research clinical trials, that takes place in medical centers - so that she will be monitored properly throughout the treatment period, as well as after the therapy is over too.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dr do you believe that there are some good stem cell therapy in Australia as well please?

I am not familiar with any official stem cell therapy clinical trials that have been currently available in Australia, and the best thing to do is to contact some premier medical centers there directly and to find out whether any stem cell studies currently are being conducted to help als patients. In the meantime you may also try these google searches and see whether any of these would be helpful to your mom;

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=stem+cell+therapy+in+australia&oq=stem+cell+therapy+in+australia&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.8178j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

You may use this google search information to find out the current best hospitals in Australia as well as their contact details too, some of the links mentioned provide the official ranking of these hospitals too, so you may start with the best hospitals first;

https://www.google.co.in/search?ei=OYyvWrTjBsXvvASnvpzQAw&q=best+hospitals+in+australia&oq=best+hospitals+in+australia&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0j0i7i30k1j0i8i30k1l8.11742.21144.0.21972.45.25.4.0.0.0.250.4290.0j13j9.22.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..21.2.411....0.6Ol-JrU7c8A

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)