Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I abruptly stood up, and in doing so, everything went black…

Customer Question
I abruptly stood up, and...
I abruptly stood up, and in doing so, everything went black and even my hearing was effected. It may have been only about 2-6 seconds. Coming back everything was fuzzy and ringing in my ears. I did not fall down, but immediately sat down. However, it has been about 2 and half hours aince this happened and I still feel faint, and have aome ringing off and on. I haven't eaten much, or drank much, as I had been sick. I do have a headache also. My legs feel crampy too.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Neurology
3/18/2018
Neurologist: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

This is generally due to low blood pressure

how old are you?

how sick have you been?

34. Not puking, but stomach cramping and multiple BMs.
Is it normal to have the headache after, and weakness, in general just blah feeling?

Ok so you probably lost enough fluid in the BMs to cause dehydration

this is just dehydration

drink gatorade and try to stay hydrated

yeah it is pretty normal

you might need IV fluids from ER though

the ringing in the ears still?

yes, that is pretty normal too

you didn't have a stroke or anything

I'm sure of that

Neurologist: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

I see that you have opted out the former expert.

Your symptoms are due to a condition known as postural hypotension (orthostatic hypotension). This means that your blood pressure decreased suddenly when you stood up . A low blood pressure causes low blood flow to the brain , leading to the symptoms you had - a brief blackening out, fatigue, headache, ringing in the ears etc.

Dehydration is a common cause of postural hypotension and in your cause, resulted from the loss of fluid in the multiple BMs.

Please drink enough fluids and rest - once your dehydration improves, you should see your symptoms decrease.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback.
Thank you.