Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I received an MRI after having new onset headaches for about…

Hi,I received an MRI after...
Hi,I received an MRI after having new onset headaches for about a week. My report showed multiple small T2 weighted white matter Hypertensities 1-3mm in size. I'm 41 years old and have no obvious symptoms of any disorder nuerologically or otherwise. I hear this is a relatively common non specific finding but am concerned. Is this "normal" given my age to have some of these or should I be concerned about some type of pathology?Radiologist indicated peripheral pattern not typical of primary Mylen disorder like MS. I have been diagnosed with mild obsessive compulsive disorder, have taken ssri's and have had a history of competitive boxing with head contacts for over a decade.Do I need to worry about this and if so what about?
3/17/2018
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

This is a common finding and prevalence of such non-specific white matter hyperintensities is around 3 to 5 % and it increases with age.

These are actually called leukoaraiosis or age-related white matter change (ARWMC).

In the absence of any clinical symptoms and out of context incidental findings mean you should not worry as this is not something very serious or life threatening.

Also this is not in accordance with MS or any other demyelinating disorder.

What do you mean by not in accordance Dr., ? could a normal healthy 41yo male have these lesions? Ive seen some studies that show up to 70% in my age range have these lesions and others that say around 5%. Not sure which studies are right but supposedly they studied healthy normals. Is this likely a benign result of aging in my case if I had a normal neuro exam and an ESR of 2mm/hr, normal cbc and metabolic panel? Could boxing have influenced?

It means that this finding doesn't suggest MS at all, so you don't need to worry about that.

Honestly, there hasn't been very large cohort of studies to determine the exact age related prevalence of these incidental finding, but we frequently come across such kind of findings in patients of your age group.

Normal neurological exam and ESR of 2mm, normal metabolic panel, all are highly reassuring and an evidence that this should be considered a benign and normal finding in your case.

Stay relaxed, I don't see any thing to be worried or panic about.

you have personally come across these lesions in otherwise healthy 41 yr olds. Thanks Dr, last ?

Yes. Not only once, many times.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

ALS completely unrelated to this, sorry, this really is last question. Thanks for the knowledge. I appreciate you sharing that this might be a normal phenomenon

Off course this is not ALS :)

Do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service.

Thanks for visiting JA!

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor