Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I was recently diagnosed with acoustic neuroma and was

Hello, so I was recently...
Hello, so I was recently diagnosed with acoustic neuroma and was confirmed with an MRI scan that can be found in the attachments. Symptoms include ringing and hearing loss degree mild to moderate also included in the attachment. What is the best treatment option to this condition?
3/17/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, there are two major options for the treatment of an acoustic neuroma. An acoustic neuroma is a benign tumor in the brain which can lead to deafness, tinnitus (ringing in the ear) and if they grow large in size they can cause compression of the cerebellum (part of the brain which controls balance) and also other cranial nerves in the region which can lead to eye movement disorders, facial paralysis etc. Now usually the choice between SURGERY and RADIOSURGERY depends on the size of the tumor (which is small in your case) and the presence or absence of symptoms. Both are successful in the removal of the tumors HOWEVER surgery is the better option in most cases as after surgery to remove the tumor, there are fewer chances of a recurrence in most patients. While radiosurgery (which uses radiation) is less invasive, it does have the disadvantage that there can be recurrence after the tumor shrinks down or is destroyed and with this option, you would require MRIs to be done on a yearly basis for the rest of your life.

So ideally in most cases, surgery is the option to be considered, it depends on the expertise of the neurosurgeon whether he opts for the surgery or not. Secondly, the availability of microsurgical equipment also plays a role.

But simply put the BEST treatment option for these sort of tumors is surgery, to remove the tumor completely and prevent complications from occurring.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

if we rule out surgery, what is the best Radiosurgery machine? Gamma knife, Cyber knife or Linear knife and also are they single dose or fractionated dose (to protect the nerve)

Among radiosurgery, gamma knife is the best option. Recent studies have shown that fractionated dose therapies do have a good outcome and gamma knife can be done via fractionated doses as well.

Sorry for the late reply but i was called away for a critical patient.

Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist