Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Ive been having pain since the end of January, I circled…

Ive been having pain since...
Ive been having pain since the end of January, I circled where it occurs in the pictures attached. I get random quick pinching type pain in the spot circled in the abdomen. I also have pain that's off and on shooting type pain in the ribs under the left breast and into the back and up around the shoulder blade. Sometimes its just an achy type feeling like ache, stop, ache, stop. I also have tenderness in my ribs in certain areas in my back. When I push above my hip on my side and into my abdomen a little it feels like a pulled muscle. Its just A general weird achy feeling on that side and into my back. The shooting pain in my and upper left abdomen and ribs scares me like crazy. My dr wants to do a ct scan where I drink barium tonight and in the morning. I can't drink the barium because I am so scared of a reaction or the way it will make me feel. Im thinking of seeing a chiropractor or getting a second opinion before putting that stuff in my body. All my blood work is fine. Is there anyway that this is all muscle related ? Possibly nerves? Can any back muscles cause pinching pain in the abdomen? All this went away for a few weeks and now its back. I also did alot of painting and yesterday and lifted a heavy object. Maybe I aggravated something that was already bad? I also get a burning feeling left of my spine in the center of my back sometimes when sitting or lying.
Answered in 1 day by:
3/17/2018
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi Deb, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you have been having health symptoms as you have described above. As a Neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

I have very carefully analysed each and every invaluable piece of information you have provided related to your health and health symptoms, including these pictures too.

First of all I want to inform and reassure you, these types of intermittent symptoms you have described above are due to some benign or treatable/curable condition rather than anything serious in nature

And very importantly these symptoms are NOT due to any serious illnesses such as the following;

MS (Multiple sclerosis)

Stroke

Brain tumors/cancers

Brain bleeding

Brain infections

Heart problems or heart attack

Lung problems or tumors/cancers

Breast problems or tumors/cancers

Abdominal/gastrointestinal tumors/cancers

Abdominal/gastrointestinal bleeding, infections

Pelvic organs tumors/cancers, bleeding or infections

Spine tumors/cancers, bleeding or infections etc

There is absolutely no suspicion for any neurological or any other medical illnesses or any serious illnesses to explain these symptoms you have been having.

Symptoms such as the ones you have described above are commonly seen in our neurology clinical practice, but based on the location/distribution, and the pattern of these symptoms these types of symptoms turn out to be secondary to some benign issues, rather than secondary to anything serious in nature.

The following types of benign issues can cause the types of symptoms you have been having;

Severe health anxiety & fear of serious illnesses

Excessive Stress

Psychological issues

Lack of sufficient sleep

Excessive workload

Excessive fatigue

Lack of sufficient exercise/Physical deconditioning

Dehydration

Poor nutrition/Nutritional deficiencies

Minor unrecognized traumas or injuries

Pressure from tight clothing

Sleeping wrong/Sleeping in uncomfortable or bad positions – for prolonged period of time

Prolonged positioning or prolonged maintaining the same position for long time

Muscle spasm or tight muscles or muscle tension causing irritation or compression of the nerves etc

I am not telling all these above possibilities are applicable in you, but these are the various possibilities that can cause the types of symptoms you have been having.

Among all the above mentioned possibilities health anxiety is one of the most likely causes for these types of intermittent symptoms. Health anxiety can manifest itself even when you are not aware of it. In fact this is not at all uncommon, I have seen many patients who have these types of intermittent symptoms due to this, and they are many times not aware they are under some stress and/or having some underlying severe anxiety issues. The brain can work in strange ways and you can have anxiety or undergoing stress even when you are not aware of it. This works on a subconscious level.

And please see for the purpose of making a diagnosis (ruling in or ruling out any disease) - it is the pattern of a symptom which is more important than the symptom itself - because it is the pattern of the symptom that provides a doctor very vital & crucial clues regarding what could be causing the symptom or symptoms. The pattern of the symptoms you are having is pointing towards only some benign issues, and certainly not pointing towards any serious health issues involving the brain/neurological structures, or heart or lungs or abdominal, pelvic, or tumors/cancers etc etc

It is not uncommon for people to experience symptoms such as these and even after extensive clinical evaluation & investigations no pathology will ever be identified, also eventually these symptoms resolve - so these are certainly benign in nature.

When patients visit us in our clinic with these types of symptoms - first we conduct a thorough examination in the clinic (check the heart, lung, gastrointestinal tract, spine, brain/nervous system, muscle, nerves, and other systems), followed by which we arrange certain relevant investigations which may include certain specific blood tests, a brain scan, spine scan, certain heart and lung related tests such as EKG, Echocardiogram, a chest x ray, a nerve & muscle test called as EMG/Nerve conduction test, abdominal films etc, and any other tests as necessary, and with experience I can reassure you that both the clinical examination as well as these investigations - all are expected to come fully normal.

In the meantime you may consider trying some of the below mentioned treatments to help with improving your overall health and also to help in getting rid of these various intermittent symptoms you have been having;

Adequate rest

Sufficient sleep

Adequate fluid/water intake

Healthy, Nutritious & balanced diet

Daily exercises etc

In addition to the above, you may also consider trying certain over the counter/non-prescription nutritional supplements such as the following ones;

Methyl Guard Plus (which is a combination of active forms of vitamin b12, vitamin b9/folate, vitamin b6, vitamin b2)

Vitamin A, B1, D, E & C

ALA (Alpha lipoic acid)

Acetyl L Carnitine

Coenzyme Q10 etc

Antioxidant preparation such as “Advanced Antioxidant Formula” or “Super Oxidants” can help too and these all positively influence the brain, heart & lung, abdominal functions, and also the functions of other organs, tissues and cells in the body.

These above mentioned general measures as well as the nutritional supplements, antioxidants etc can help in getting relief from these new symptoms, and also help you with faster recovery too, and these treatments can also help you with maintaining optimum general health too.

In addition to the above the following treatments too can help;

One of the nerve-pain pills such as Gabapentin or Pregabalin

One of the muscle relaxants such as Tizanidine or Baclofen

And also a course of Physical therapy etc

If these symptoms persist please try to get this evaluated and investigated further in the clinic – as discussed above. But please see this is essentially to reassure you, because when all these neurological (brain, spine/back, nerve, muscles), heart, lung, chest, belly, pelvis etc tests etc will come normal – very certainly as expected – then you will feel very reassured that you are indeed not having any serious neurological, heart or lung or abdominal/pelvis illnesses etc to explain your symptoms. So I am recommending you to undergo clinical evaluation and investigations not because I suspect any actual or serious illnesses in you, rather it is only to prove to you that you are indeed not having any serious or any neurological, heart or lung or abdominal/pelvis illnesses etc.

Once again I can very categorically reassure you, these type of intermittent symptoms you have been having always turn out to be benign in nature, if this persists please try to get evaluated and investigated in the clinic and then treated appropriately, in the meantime you may consider trying some of the above mentioned treatments to help with your symptoms as well as help with faster recovery too, but once again the pattern of the symptoms you have been having is such that there is absolutely no suspicion for any serious or life threatening illnesses including tumors/cancers or bleeding or permanent damage etc anywhere in your body or in any organs, this is definitely benign in nature and this is definitely going to resolve with time and in the meantime consider trying the above treatments to help you with symptomatic relief as well as faster recovery too from these symptoms, but if you are worried about any serious or life threatening issues such as tumors/cancers, or any other serious issues, or permanent or irreversible damage etc then please see there is absolutely no evidence for any such serious or life threatening or permanent damage possibilities, so please not to be scared.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Hi. Thank you for your very thorough answer! I still worry about it being my heart with pain under the left rib cage. I haven't had it for a couple of days, then today I wrestled around a little bit with my boys and the ache in the ribs started again. Do you possibly think it could be a rib slipping? I notice it sometimes when bending over, squatting to where my thighs touch my stomach and sometimes when I take random deep breaths.

You are very welcome! My pleasure! I am very glad you found the above information helpful!

The pattern of the pain you have been having clearly indicates this is not heart related pain or rib slipping or any other serious issues, this pain is secondary to the benign issues that I had mentioned previously too!

Wishing you all the very best!

Thanks & Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, one more question, can you explain why and how muscles could cause pain that is in the back and into the ribs in the upper left quadrant?

Hi, please see muscles can develop spasm or become tight many times without any apparent reasons. Many times this type of muscle spasm or tightness is also due to anxiety or stress. Sometimes dehydration or minor electrolyte imbalances too can do this. Nerves from the spine pass through these tight muscles and reach the side and front aspects of the chest and abdominal regions and along their path they may get compressed due to muscle tightness and this also can contribute to some of the pain. The treatment for this type of muscle condition is trying to dilute the anxiety and stress, good hydration, otc electrolyte and mineral preparations containing calcium, potassium & magnesium preparations, physical therapy, muscle relaxants, nerve pain pills etc and these can help in both reliving the symptoms as well as relieving the underlying muscle spasm or tightness too.