Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I am a 47 year old woman who has always been active and

I am a 47...

I am a 47 year old woman who has always been active and healthy. In July I found out a disk in my neck was herniated and I had to stop running and all intense exceecise. Around this time I also started feeling numbness in my arms and strange zapping/pinging sensations in my legs. My doctor had put me on b6 supplements for carpel tunnel and I realized I’d been taking between 100-150 or more for several months. I had a blood test done and found out that my b6 levels were extremely high. I immediately stopped the supplements as well as all high b6 foods. To cope with the neck pain and neurological symptoms I went for acupuncture. The muscles in my legs started twitching during treatment and they haven’t stopped. I developed fasciculations all over but they have settled predominantly in my calves. I’ve seen 3 neurologists who did various tests to rule out more serious conditions. EMG test clear. The rest of my neurological symptoms went away and my b6 levels have dropped but the twitching hadn’t stopped. I’ve tried cutting out gluten, soy, sugar and only minimal caffeine. I do have an anxiety disorder which probably makes this worse. I use a Magnesium/potassium solution in my water and drink lots of water throughout the day. Nothing really seems to be working and I’m at my wits end trying to giviyre out what could be causing it. I did also get stung by some kind of wasp around the same time as well. Nobody seems to have any idea what this is other than benign fasciculations but there must be a cause and treatment. Any ideas?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Got baths with epsom salt helps in the evening but I really can’t tell what else is helping. Sometimes I think my restricted diet calms things down but I’m down to do few foods st this point I’ve lost s lot of weight. No swelling. Just constant twitching!

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Sorry hot baths

3/14/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

severe anxiety symptoms commonly cause benign fasciculation twitching of muscles itself.

since you have had other testing and you do have bad anxiety symptoms, it is your anxiety symptoms causing the fasciculations.

doing yoga, deep breathing exercises, regular exercise can help decrease your anxiety symptoms and help decrease fasciculations

have you tried yoga before?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. Yes I do some light yoga in the mornings and I try evening meditation but it’s not at all relaxing -when I sit still all I feel is my muscles twitching. It almost makes me more anxious. I have tried deep breathing, light exercise. I went from 4 cups of coffee a day to less than half a cup in the morning. Nothing makes them stop. I have had a few better days over the last month where the twitches we’re just a little quieter but whenever I eat even a small amount of something that I suspect has b6 in it, or a food that I’ve started to suspect I might possibly have developed an allergy to, the twitching comes back worse than before.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could it be the b6 toxicity or a food sensitivity?

you should do more yoga and more stretching and breathing during yoga

you should be focusing on your pose and breathing during yoga as well

you should get more fruits and vegetables in your diet which gets you more potassium in your system

if your anxiety symptoms are bad, you may need anti-anxiety medications to help your anxiety symptoms.

medical marijuana can help decrease anxiety symptoms.

no, I doubt you have B6 toxicity or food sensitivity

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do take klonopin at night but it makes me too sleepy during the day. I’m not sure what other medications would help? I’m interested in medical marijuana but not sure how to go about getting it. I guess I have also been wondering, could the acupuncture have caused some kind of injury? It literally started that day, although all my other neurological symptoms started earlier, around the time I hurt my neck. I’m hopeful that it is just stress. It’s stsrting to feel like they’ll never go away and has interfered severely with my quality of life.

you can use hydroxyzine during the day to help decrease anxiety

you can use sertraine, fluoxetine, paroxetine to help decrease anxiety symptoms.

no, acupuncture would not cause injury to cause fasciculations.

fasciculations are very common in patients who have bad anxiety symptoms.

if you exercise more and do yoga more, you could decrease your anxiety symptoms and decrease these fasciculations .

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** try more of the stress reduction techniques. I’m glad to hear that you don’t think it was the acupuncture. There are so many factors to sort out it’s been really bewildering. One other thing- I read that intense physical excercise is thought to be one possible cause. And I had been a high intensity track runner for several years, then stopped abruptly because of my neck injury. Aside from stress, could the intense exercising (or stopping sudddnly) have anything to do with the onset of fasciculations?

heavy exercising and muscle fatigue can cause sometimes fasciculations.

but it is more likely your anxiety symptoms are causing these fasciculations.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there is hope that they will go away in time? It’s like they’ve settled in my legs with no sign of letting up.

as long as you continue to have bad anxiety symptoms, you most likely will continue to have these fasciculations.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate your suggestions and advice.

you are welcome

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Dr. David, Board Certified MD