Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Is chill or cold one of the symptoms of Parkinison's?

Is chill or cold one...
3/13/2018
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you inquired about the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease as you have mentioned above. As a Neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat Parkinson's disease, and I can certainly help you in this regard.

First I need to ask few questions so that I can gather more information related to your health concerns and I will follow up with you and post my questions here ASAP. I am preparing & typing the questions now and I will follow up with you as soon as I am ready with my questions.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Kindly answer to these below posted questions, it will help me in gathering additional information related to your health concerns;

1) Could you describe the chill or cold feeling in bit more detail?

2) Are you having any other neurological symptoms such as muscle stiffness, significant slowing of daily activities, gait difficulties, tremors or shaking of the hands while hands are in resting position, reduced swinging of the arms while walking, speech difficulties etc?

Kindly reply

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is not my symptom...as observed for two different people. #1 Cold hands so she is wearing gloves indoors.
As described for#2 person....wrapping herself in blanket while in a restaurant as she was so thoroughly cold.for myself: I find my tolerance to cold weather is not comfortable therefore I live in the desert.

Okay I see. I appreciate for all these additional information. I am preparing & typing my answer now, and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready. Typing may take few minutes and I will follow up with you and post my answer here the moment I finish with my typing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Some rigidity is mentioned

Okay I see, I once again appreciate this additional information.

Okay I am ready; I am posting my answer here;

Please see symptoms such as chill or cold that you have described above is not a symptom of PD (Parkinson’s disease)

PD presents with a set of certain distinct symptoms such as the following;

Muscle stiffness (also called as Rigidity)

Significant slowing of daily activities (also called as Bradykinesia or Akinesia)

Gait difficulties

Tremors or shaking also called as Resting tremors since the shaking of the hands occurs while hands are in resting position

Reduced swinging of the arms while walking

Speech difficulties etc

If someone is not having the above mentioned symptoms or manifestations then PD is unlikely. Having some rigidity is not sufficient, rather there should be associated above symptoms, if not all of the above at least few of the above especially resting tremors of the hands, reduced swinging of the arms while walking, gait difficulties etc are required for diagnosing PD.

Once again to your main question, please see chill or cold is not considered as one of the symptoms of PD, rather the above mentioned types of symptoms are associated with PD.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)