Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a MRI that says the right p1 segment appears

Customer Question
I have a MRI...

I have a MRI that says the right p1 segment appears hypoplastic with right posterior cerebral artery predominantly supplied via the right posterior communicating artery (fetal-like).

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have frequent headaches? Any issues with coordination or balance?

I am in treatment for migraines including hemiplegic migraines and yes to the balance issues. They are just developing

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Daily and yes I have regular nausea

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Diagnosed with fibromyalgia, Hashimotos with atrophic left side thyroid, and my nerves are dying in my hands and feet

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Neurology
3/13/2018
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 3 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see your brain MRA scan has revealed certain findings as you have described above. As a Neurologist I am very familiar with these types of brain scan findings, and I can certainly help you in this regard.

First of all I want to inform and reassure you the above mentioned brain mra findings are considered as normal

This type of findings are also called as anatomical variants

Anatomical variations are common in human body where different individuals may have somewhat different anatomy for the same structure

For example a blood vessel or artery may have somewhat different structure is different individuals and it is just a variation among various individuals but it is still normal finding only

So the anatomical variant they have detected in your brain scan is normal

This finding is not going to cause any brain issues such as strokes or bleeding or any other

This is because the blood flow to your brain is not compromised in any area due to this finding

Now coming to the description of the findings;

Right P1 segment appears hypoplastic –this term means the first part of an artery by name PCA (Posterior cerebral artery) appears thinner than usually seen - on the right side

Right posterior cerebral artery (PCA) predominantly supplied via right posterior communicating artery (PcoA) – fetal like – this type of anatomical variant where the PCA is predominantly supplied by PcoA then it is called fetal like variant. Usually PCA derives its blood from BA (Basilar artery), in fact PCA is one of the two terminal branches of BA so usually blood in the PCA is from BA, but in fetal like variations the blood in the PCA is mainly from the PcoA – which is a branch of another major arterial trunk in the brain called as ICA (Internal carotid artery)

But this is all still normal anatomical variation and this is not considered as pathological

And also these findings cannot explain any of your symptoms too

Once again I can reassure you, please see the above mentioned findings in your brain scan are considered as anatomical variants and these are all normal findings. These are just some inter-individual normal variations and not pathological or dangerous in anyway. These findings are not going to cause any brain issues such as strokes or bleeding or any other issues etc in you since the blood flow in your brain is not at all compromised and it is just a normal variation, so please not to be scared.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, Please see the above mentioned brain MRA findings are not considered as dangerous or pathological in nature, and these arterial changes are unlikely going to cause any neurological issues or complications either currently or in the future as well, so please not to be scared.

Do you want to discuss further the brain MRA findings you have mentioned above, or any other health issues or concerns you have been having?

Please let me know

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD