Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I'm having spine surgery: large epidural arachnoid cyst 12…

I'm having spine surgery: large...
I'm having spine surgery: large epidural arachnoid cyst 12 to L2 extends into right neural foramen at t12 bilateral at l1 and left at L2.Do you know the recovery time? When most people will be able to go back to work? What are the side common side effects after surgery? Is it usually a 100% recovery? Will I need physical therapy and will my bladder go back to normal. What should I expect after a few weeks. I just want to be prepared for it so that I have the right people around me to support me. Last question the success rate of most doctors for this surgery.
3/12/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

I believe I answered this question in the other thread as well. I'll answer it here for you again.

The recovery time can vary between 6-12 weeks depending on how fast you heal. Most patients recover after 6-8 weeks and start normal activities by the 10th week.

The side effects of the surgery can include,

Pain in the region

Infections

Bleeding during the surgery

Complications of anesthesia

Small risk of paralysis

Numbness in the legs post surgery4

The recovery is almost 100% depending on how well the surgery was performed. It all depends on the arachnoid cyst and the structures it is encasing, the more difficult the surgery, the less successful it will be meaning that some symptoms may persist after the surgery.

Yes physical therapy is necessary and in most cases, the bladder issues DO resolve post surgery

In the first month after surgery, you will have to AVOID lifting any objects, bending down, straining. The exercise regimen would be tailored to you personally so that you are gently eased into normal life. No driving for the first month at least after surgery. So for the first month, you WILL need assistance in performing your daily tasks.

The success rate of most doctors is around 80-90%. But again this varies based on how complicated the case is. How complicated your case is would be decided by your surgeon after taking exhaustive looks at the scans from every view.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Thank you so much. You answered all of my questions.

You are welcome, best of luck.