Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a large epidural arachnoid cyst spanning from t12 to…

I have a large...

I have a large epidural arachnoid cyst spanning from t12 to l2 it scallops the posterior elements and extends in the right neural foramen at t12 bilateral l1 and left at L2I have severe lower back pain, leg pain and fingers and toes go numb often as well as head pain. I often hold my urine and it feels like needles when I urinate. Would you recommend back surgery as I am schedule soon.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Hi Pearl

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

The head ache usually daily but not the entire day. I vomit often but that is due to asthma

3/12/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, i would definitely suggest surgery in your situation given the severity of the pain and the persistent nature. The fact that it is affecting your ability to urinate as well does mean that surgery is indicated in this situation. In most cases, surgery is kept as a last resort but in your case, the size of the cyst and the symptoms that it is causing does warrant its removal.

In most cases, these cysts cause no symptoms whatsoever and in that situation, we recommend no treatment regardless of the size, however, whenever they start to compress the spinal cord or the nerves arising from the spinal cord, surgery is the only option at that time.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you for your advice. Do you know the recovery time? When most people will be able to go back to work? What are the side common side effects after surgery? Is it usually a 100% recovery? Will I need physical therapy and will my bladder go back to normal. What should I expect after a few weeks. I just want to be prepared for it so that I have the right people around me to support me. Last question the success rate of most doctors for this surgery.

The recovery time can vary between 6-12 weeks depending on how fast you heal. Most patients recover after 6-8 weeks and start normal activities by the 10th week.

The side effects of the surgery can include,

Pain in the region

Infections

Bleeding during the surgery

Complications of anesthesia

Small risk of paralysis

Numbness in the legs post surgery4

The recovery is almost 100% depending on how well the surgery was performed. It all depends on the arachnoid cyst and the structures it is encasing, the more difficult the surgery, the less successful it will be meaning that some symptoms may persist after the surgery.

Yes physical therapy is necessary and in most cases, the bladder issues DO resolve post surgery

In the first month after surgery, you will have to AVOID lifting any objects, bending down, straining. The exercise regimen would be tailored to you personally so that you are gently eased into normal life. No driving for the first month at least after surgery. So for the first month, you WILL need assistance in performing your daily tasks.

The success rate of most doctors is around 80-90%. But again this varies based on how complicated the case is. How complicated your case is would be decided by your surgeon after taking exhaustive looks at the scans from every view.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist