Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Second opinion] My report came back saying that I have No…

Second opinion] Hey doctor. My...
Second opinion] Hey doctor. My report came back saying that I haveNo evidence of an acute intracranial process, mass, or pathologic
enhancement.Minimal nonspecific white matter changes with differential considerations
as detailed.Chronic Change: Scattered punctate foci of increased T2 andFLAIR signal
are noted in the supratentorial white matter which is a nonspecific
finding, but may represent sequela of remote insult, vascular mediated
migraines, or minimal chronic microvascular ischemiaMy neurologist said the scan is good but reading that chronic changes saying minimal chronic micro ischemia has my heart racingIs this a normal thing for a 34 year old have scattered punctate foci?? Just have anxiety over this even though my neuro said its ok. J
3/11/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your MRI report. Actually, at your age, it is extremely unlikely that you could have microvascular ischemia and the punctate foci that are apparent in the MRI can be considered as being normal. They have mentioned a few causes such as migraines which can commonly cause this as well as past history of mild head trauma such as head bumps etc.

But even if you don't have a history of migraines or even head trauma of any sort, I would still not be worried about these changes in the scan as these can be found commonly in many patients of your age and they do not lead to any serious issues whatsoever in 99.999% of the cases. Microvascular ischemia is HIGHLY unlikely at your age.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You said sorry to hear about my mri?? Do you see something bad in it??

No that is just an expression which means that I am sorry to hear about the ANXIETY that you are feeling over this MRI. NOT because I think there is something serious in the MRI itself. The MRI findings on their own are normal and not worrisome AT ALL.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you so much. I have been getting brain fog/lightheadedness the past few weeks which prompted the mri. I had a friend pass away and it has had me very stressed and anxious. Can anxiety cause these brain fog feelings/ feelings of passsing out

Yes it can actually, anxiety is a major cause of these symptoms. it can also be due to dehydration., electrolyte imbalances, vitamin deficiencies, thyroid disorders, adrenal gland disorders but at your age and given the recent history of stress and anxiety it is likely that these symptoms are the result of anxiety.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you so much. I just need to stay off google :)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you a neurologist??

I'm an internist who subspecialized in critical care and am currently running a neurological ICU so I have experience in dealing with neurological cases and am experienced in reading MRIs.

Dr. Google has a really bad bedside manner, his license to practice should be taken away! :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wow. Very great background. Let me ask if you don’t mind. Why justanswer??

I do this in my free time when i am not teaching my residents or doing rounds, just to keep busy.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you for your time

You are welcome, best of luck!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Another question for you. Does an mri with contrast like i had show an aneurysm if I had one

Yes it would show an aneurysm.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you dr

You are welcome.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist