Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Dr subbanna Is urinating 10-15 times in a 24 hour period…

Dr subbannaIs urinating 10-15 times...
Dr subbannaIs urinating 10-15 times in a 24 hour period possible just from anxiety?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, Thanks for the question, and I am very glad to help you again with your health concerns.

I am currently preparing & typing my answer and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Please see, as I had mentioned previously too, this indeed appears anxiety related rather than any real illness related

There are myriad reasons why this must be anxiety related rather than real illness

First of all, if this is real illness then this must be due to conditions such as uti, or stone etc

With either of these conditions first of all you will be very sick

You will also have fever, chills etc with uti

And the stone pain is so agonizing patients with urinary tract stone will visit er

Also there are very often other manifestations such as blood in the urine etc

In your case you are not having the evidence for uti or stone etc for the above reasons

Also this is not how tumor/cancer etc presents

Tumors/cancers are expected to present with various other manifestations too such as recent loss of weight, blood in the urine, etc and also the pain of this kind is not expected with tumors/cancers

While you have been having frequent urination, and some intermittent pain too, but other than these two symptoms you are really not having any symptoms or manifestations that can raise any doubts about any of the above mentioned conditions

And anxiety can present like any disease, it can present urinary tract disease like too, and can cause frequent urination & pain etc - as you have been having now

Once again I can categorically reassure you, the symptoms you have been having are not at all pointing towards the possibility of any real illness, this all appears just anxiety related, and also there is absolutely no suspicion for any serious illnesses such as tumors/cancers etc along with the other types of illnesses mentioned earlier above, so please not to be scared.

Wishing & reassuring you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Thank you very much for the detailed respinxe again. I have only been thinking of this for the past 4 days so I do believe that it is most likely just anxiety but I just can't seem to shake that it is something else. I don't believe it to be anything super serious like tunor or cancer but I've read about uti and overactive bladder that I believe it could be. You don't expect either of those. I will try once more to get this off of my mind and try to get in with my life as normal again. I still have the feeling quite a bit but I have not went in about 2.5 hours now and that is the longest I have went all day except for at night. If it were uti or anything else would I be woken up in the middle of the night to go. I have not woke up at all the past 3 nights because of this.

You are very welcome! Well this can certainly be considered as a type of overactive bladder, but this is again induced by anxiety and fear of serious illnesses, and in fact this is the precise mechanism by which anxiety or psychological issue causes frequent urination (by making bladder hypersensitive to filling of even small amount of urine). But the primary diagnosis is still anxiety or psychological because the over active bladder in your case is not due to any real illnesses - and accordingly the treatments are to be targeted towards psychological/anxiety issues. Temporarily you may also try a course of anti-anxiety agent such as Alprazolam (Xanax), or bladder relaxing agents such as Solifenacin (Vesicare), or Tolterodine (Detrol) etc and these can help you with relaxing the bladder and reducing the frequency of urination – but eventually more aggressive psychological related treatments (that I had mentioned in my answers to one of your previous questions) are required to get to the root cause of these recurrent health manifestations in various forms and affecting various regions.

And my diagnosis is psychological/anxiety etc and no real illnesses in you for sure.

you definitely do not believe it is an uti or anything to do with that blade for uretha or anything along those lines. You are sure if this?

Yes.

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Thank you again. I have already went twice this morning since being up for less than 2 hours. Can these psychological symptoms happen even when I am asleep? I woke at this morning having to go. Then about and hour and 10 mins later had the feeling of going again. Both were quite a bit of urine. I do not have any pain right now. Again I appreciate everything

You are very welcome! My pleasure! I am very glad you found the above information helpful!

I guess you had mentioned earlier you do not have this issue during sleeping, if this is correct then this once again reaffirms my diagnosis of psychological issues. Because if you are having a pathological condition then it should cause this problem throughout the day.

This is all certainly psychological and there is definitely no evidence for real pathological genitourinary tract condition causing your these symptoms.

Wishing you all the very best!

Thanks & Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

That is correct. I don't wake up in the middle of the night to go. This morning I did wake up about 30 minutes before my alarm and had to go instantly though. Then it was instantly back on my mind and has been since again. It's just bugging me that for the past 5 days now this is all that has been on my mind and it feels like I have probably went 70 times in those days.

If this does not happen during sleeping then this cannot be pathological. But if this continues to happen again and again like this and does not resolve then seeing your dr and also undergoing investigations may be necessary, but this appears certainly psychological in nature.

What could the investigations find if it is something other than psycplogical?

Since my only diagnosis is psychological so I really do not expect the investigations to show anything, but if symptoms persist then it is a standard practice to arrange investigations, and also when the investigations come normal – as expected – it will make you fully convinced there is really no disease causing these symptoms.

You believe i am okay to wait to have these investigations though. Nothing urgent?

Definitely you can wait, not urgent at all.

there would definitely be more symptoms than just having to go every 1.5-2 hours if it were anything else? I did take that uti test that came back negative so does that pretty much rule that out?

Yes, more symptoms are expected too, but the pattern of your current symptoms is already confirming non-organic condition, and uti has been ruled out through an investigation too.

also the ct scan and ultrasound I recently had would have shown something? Or could this have happened since then and causing this?

Answer is both yes and no – for whether the investigations would have shown something, yes for conditions such as tumors/cancers etc since they do not start so fast, but for uti or stone or hernia etc the answer is no since these conditions can occur as a fresh incident after the recent investigations you have had, but anyway in your case the diagnosis is definitely psychological.

Would a hernia cause frequent urination? I don't have any bulges or strong pain. Actually very little to no pain today

No, hernia too is not suspected.

This did start after I had that sharp pain. I've had that before but never with the frequent peeing. Is this something that could have caused it?

Even though the pain used to occur intermittently before too - but issues with frequently peeing like this is occurring for the first time – but the initial pain itself is psychological so it can only precipitate another psychological issue - like the increased frequency of peeing you have been having now.

The sharp pains are very painful when they happen and happen without any notice at all. Just when I stand up too quickly or bend a certain way. I don't believe those are psycplogical at all. Could they happen like that and still just be in my head?

This sharp pain is certainly psychological.

if I were to go to a doctor for this would they just take a yrinaylsis? Would that show what is causing this or would they need to do more testing?
I want to wait it out but it just keeps bugging me so a part of me just wants to go and figure it out forsure. I don't want to do any testing that involves tubes or anything going up anything.

A urine analysis, then if required an ultrasound of the genitourinary tract are the two tests your dr is most likely going to order. But no test is going to show anything for the reason I had discussed earlier.

I just have a hard time believing that anxiety can cause so much urination. It's not just a feeling. I am actually going every time. Anxiety can let that happen? Also I had a pretty bad burning sensation in my lower abdomen and pelvic area about an hour ago because I went 2 times an hour apart. All this can be psychological?+

Yes, this is certainly psychological.

No infection? I just feel like the symptoms are all the same for a a bladder infection. I understand a test is the only way to really tell but you don't even suspect that a little?

Unlikely uti or anything real because this does not happen during sleeping. Something bothering you so much during awake period but does not bother you at all during sleep cannot be due to uti or any other pathological conditions.

Last night I caught myself waking up a couple times to urinate in the middle of the night. This is the first night that this has happened. Could this mean that an infection is there and that it is getting worse? There is still no pain. Just peeing a lot.

Even then if no pain or burning while peeing then it is not infection.

Could it just be an overactive bladdrr?

Yes, this is over active bladder secondary to psychological issues

I have taken my temperature a few times this morning just to see if there was an infection and it has been 97.6 and 96.9. Is that considered a low temperature or is that okay?

The normal range of body temperature usually is 97.5 degree F to 98.9 in the morning time. So the 96.9 is bit low or subnormal but this is minor and nothing to worry. Anyway there is no fever, so another confirmation this is not uti.

Dr subbanna. Yesterday evening I started being able to wait about 3.5-4 hours to go but I still get a little urge to go before then but can't. Is this a good sign that I can wait longer now but still have the feeling? There is still no pain or burning and I still have no fever. Ibalso slept through the night again last night without having to wake up but when I did wake up i had to go which is usually pretty normal for me. It's been about 2.5 hours since I went when I first woke up and I have the feeling again but not enough to actually go. When I do go i feel like it takes me a few seconds to actually get going also so is that normal also?

None of these positive developments surprise me at all, from the beginning I am not seeing any organic illness, and this will gradually but fully resolve.

I understand. My mind just goes crazy with all this and I think of every scernaro possible. I believed you from the beginning and still do but I just kept reading up on it and it just seemed to get worse each time. with the feeling of still needing to go but not actually needing to go, is that another good sign that is was psychological?

Certainly good sign. This is all just psychological and nothing else.

do you think i would be okay with cancelling my appt for Monday or should I still go just in case?

If symptoms persist till monday then see your dr anyway, not because clinical and lab evaluation will show anything, but for your own reassurances.

They won't do any tests that involve a catheter will they? I don't want to have to go through that. Would it just be a urinalysis and physical? Also is it normal for urine to be slightly cloudy once in awhile? With bubbles?
I also just urinate that looked like it had little black fuzz in it. What could that be. I sent a picture.

No catheter or endoscopy test etc will be required. Just UA and physical etc only. The urine looks ok here in this picture, but I am not sure whether this urine was mixed with water in the commode, or is this all urine alone. If this was urine-alone then this looks fine, if this was mixed with water you may send the picture of a fresh unmixed sample of urine.

I have already answered several questions for you under this thread & under another thread, could you post a new thread now?

I will

Appreciate it.