Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Constant urge to keep swallowing, even laying down to sleep…

Customer Question
Constant urge to keep swallowing...
Constant urge to keep swallowing, even laying down to sleep feeling like im chocking. Throat voluntarily keeps swallowing and fighting it does a dry swallow. Any reason why?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Neurology
3/10/2018
Neurologist: Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital in Chennai, India. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Hello... I understand your concern.

I need some more information please.

1. Since how long have you had this problem?

2. Do you feel like choking or do you actually cough and choke please?

3. Is there any weakness of limbs?

4. Is there any family history of neurological disorder please?

5. Apart from this is there any difficulty that you have observed please?

6. Do you think you are having these symptoms due to withdrawal from any drug please?

Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.

Problem happens after I clear my throat a lot, I do feel like I'm choking when I try to sleep and my body wants to swallow. No coughing. A clicking on the left side of my throat when swallowing. No drugs

Hi...I understand your concern. I think that the problem is happening because of excessive throat clearing, the posterior wall of the pharynx is becoming dry and getting irritated. This is the reason why you are unable to swallow well and getting choking sensation please. I do not think this is a neurological issue. I inquired about the symptoms because some neurological problems can present like this.

The best way out is -

1. Have sips of water frequently.

2. warm salt water gargling thrice a day.

3. Avoid excessive clearing of throat.

4. Avoid having spicy food and junk food please.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800