Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

It is hard for me to get any answers from any of my doctors,

It is hard for...

It is hard for me to get any answers from any of my doctors, it is a workers comp issue and all I get is lets wait until they approve this or that. I have been diagnosed with a herniated disc at c3-c4, vestibular dysfuction, after 8 vrt sessions, nothing helped, the balance test machine said my vestibular was not working at all, this has been going on for 15 months, I was struck on the right side of my head by a 200lb backhoe bucket and knocked out, concussion as well. my bot***** *****p is numb and painful and all my symptoms are getting worse, I guess what I really want to know, is how much worse can I get with delayed treatment or no treatment

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

15 months, nothing makes it better, everything I do makes it worse

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

That's it

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also have had a ringing in my right ear since the accident 12/9/16
3/10/2018
drphophalia

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age?

Are you prescribed vestibular rehab?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am 48, I did 8 sessions of vestibular rehab, it did not help, on the last session the therapist put me on a balance machine that measures everything, and it said my vestibular did not work, I had 0 response from the vestibular

Was an MRI with gadolinium contrast done?

If yes, did it show any problem?

What are the specialists you have consulted?

I am sorry, I cannot phone you but we can continue here.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
cool, yes on the mri a year ago, nothing shown on mri of signifigance, from what I was told, I saw an orthopedic surgeon for the herniated disc, recommended therapy, 24 sessions, no help, pins and needles across shoulders and pain, said he'd do the surgery if nothing else helped, workers comp denied request for epidural shot
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
from pain management doctor, he wants to go in at t1-c7, because at c3-c4 level is too risky because of smaller area of blood vessels and nerves
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my hands are also going numb and will get painfully ice cold

Following are the investigations which will help clinching the diagnosis;

1) audiometry,
2) vestibular tests.

The most commonly performed vestibular tests are as follows (you may have got it done):

Electronystagmography (ENG)The rotating-chair test, also referred to as sinusoidal harmonic acceleration (SHA), Computerized dynamic posturography (CDP).
3) blood tests for autoimmune disorders,
4) computed tomography (CT), and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

5) The saccadic test
6) The gaze test
7) Pursuit eye movements test
8) Optokinetic Nystagmus test
9) Head shake nystagmus test.
10) Positional nystagmus testing
11) Bithermal calorie test.
12) Rotating chair test.

13) An alternative to the rotating-chair test is the active head-rotation test,

14) Computerized dynamic posturography

An ENT specialist and a neurologist with a Rehab specialist in tandem are involved in the investigative work up and care.

Following exercise program may help, till you are investigated.

Exercises are graded in difficulty based on velocity of head and object motion and by progression of body positioning from sitting to standing to walking. The exercises are graded in difficulty by narrowing the base of support, making the surface uneven, or changing the surface from firm to soft. Varied walking exercises are graded in difficulty by changing direction, requiring performance with the eyes closed, increasing speed of ambulation, walking on soft surfaces, or navigating stairs. An aerobic exercise home program progressively increasing the time, speed, or distance that the patient could tolerate also can be initiated. But all of these may need supervision of a doctor if vertigo is severe.

Your symptoms may not worsen significantly without treatment but you need active treatment for even your present manifestations.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

drphophalia
Phone call session started

Let me know if I can help you further.

It is privilege assisting you.

drphophalia
drphophalia
drphophalia, Other