Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

On the advice of an addiction doctor, I took 90 mg of

Customer Question
phenobarbital last night for sleep...
On the advice of an addiction doctor, I took 90 mg of phenobarbital last night for sleep. An hour later, I realized that I made a horrible mistake, suffered through the night, and now I'm having a bad hangover that I can't shake. What can I do about this?I had gone to the addiction doctor asking for advice how to wean off Ambien, which I've used for about 5 weeks, most of the time using less than 5.0 mg. He recommended that I stop using the Ambien immediately and begin a 12 day treatment of phenobarbital. I want to go back to just tapering the Ambien dose.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Neurology
3/9/2018
Neurologist: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

You can taper of ambien by taking half the dose you take for a week and then take the half dose on alternate days for next week and then do another half on alternate days for another week and then stop.

It can usually take 10 to 14 days for a cold/ ear/ nasal congestion to get better when treated properly.

Since the ongoing problem is blocked ears, the tightness is most likely due to it as well.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Please let me know if you have followup questions.

I asked about how to reduce the severity of the "hangover" from the phenobarbital. I wasn't asking how to wean off Ambien, nor mentioned anything about cold, nasal, congestion.I'm stuck with this bad phenobarbital "mental fog", or feeling of sedation, what can I do about it? It's making it very difficult for me to do things.