Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Can a heavy object hitting my back in my early 20's cause…

Can a heavy object...

Can a heavy object hitting my back in my early 20's cause spondylolisthesis later in life?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes. I have stage 2 spondylolisthesis. Taking Meloxicam

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

2 surgeons recommended L4/L5 fusion

3/8/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Actually to answer your question, YES it is possible that the repetitive movement and stress of lifting heavy objects in your early twenties has led to the development of this problem later on in life. Studies have shown that those people who have had to put excessive stress on their lower back throughout their lives have developed spondylolisthesis, osteoarthritis later on in life at a frequency higher than those people who have not stressed their backs.

So in short, YES it is possible for your spondylolisthesis to have developed because lifting heavy objects in your early twenties.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Hi Dr. Ali. I served in the US Navy in the late 1970's. While replacing a 500lb steam valve in the engine room, the tool we were using failed and the valve hit my back and my hand. The immediate result was a crushed finger and a sore back. Nine years ago the Veterans Administration awarded me a 'service connected' disability for my hand because the injury was recorded in my personnel file. I recently asked for a 'service connected' disability rating for my back injury and they declined it saying I needed a Doctor to say it was possible that the blow to my back caused the back problem later in life. Other than the injury, it was a daily part of our job to move heavy equipment around. I'd like your thoughts now that you have more background.

In your situation, trauma directly to the lower back as caused by a heavy object such as the valve can lead to the development of changes in the ligaments as well as the tendons along with the bones. These changes can progress so much so over the years that it leads to the development of spondylolisthesis. It is known that trauma is a major cause of this problem. In your situation, after the trauma lifting and moving heavy objects could have contributed to this situation as well.

So it is possible for your current back issue to be a "Service-connected" disability however it would need to be classified as such by your VA doctors primarily.

Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Is it possible to visit you at your office for an evaluation so you can write a report?

Unfortunately no, we are only limited to interactions online as per the rules of this website which we have to abide by, for a doctors note and prescriptions etc you will have to schedule a visit with your own doctor.

Is it possible to cite where you are licensed. The VA will want to understand your credentials

I am licensed in other countries, I practice in the largest tertiary care hospital of Pakistan currently but i have practiced medicine in the UK and UAE over the last few years and spend some months of the year practicing medicine in these countries.