Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

CAN THE MENINGES SURROUNDING THE BRAIN BE REPAIRED. My head…

Customer Question
CAN THE MENINGES SURROUNDING...

CAN THE MENINGES SURROUNDING THE BRAIN BE REPAIRED.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My head was used to smash walls as a child and I suffer from headaches and when I cough or sneeze I feel my head is going to explode

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2018
Neurologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist replied 1 month ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms and the ordeal that you went through as a child. I just came online to see that you have been waiting for some time so ill quickly answer this question for you.

The answer is YES, the meninges can be repaired with specialized microsurgical techniques. However, in order to repair them, we would first need to identify where the meninges are leaking or damaged. This would be done through a specialized scan of the brain using the MRI. If necessary a myelogram may also be necessary to diagnose the problem. This would involve using a specialized dye to locate the leaks.

Once this is done you would need to undergo surgery where a microscope and specialized sutures would be used to repair the damaged meninges and in those regions where the meninges cannot be repaired, a patch or a graft would be applied.

So, in short, yes the meninges can be repaired and you would need to talk to a neurosurgeon in order to first locate the damaged portions and then get started on the repairing portions.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist