Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I've been going through seizures for 8 years and my parents…

I've been going through...

I've been going through seizures for 8 years and my parents have tried at least 5 different medications over the past years and we are thinking about Brain surgery so I want to know and that I can about it

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

My parents have records of my seizures and I know the pattern that they usually happen

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm not sure

3/7/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, there are several different types of surgeries which are available for refractory epilepsy and the one which would be used is dependent on the severity of your problem AND also the location from which the abnormal discharges in the brain occur. The types can include the following,

The first, and by far the most common, is called resection or resective surgery. In this type, the surgeon removes the area of the brain that causes the patient's seizures. (The name of the specific procedure generally ends with "ectomy," which means removal by cutting.)

• The most common type is called a temporal lobectomy, in which part of the temporal lobe of the brain is removed.
  • The goal of resective surgery for epilepsy is most often cure for the seizure disorder.
  • This can involve removal of the temporal, parietal or occipital lobes depending on where the seizures are coming from
  • This is a radical procedure and is usually undertaken when a person is not improving and is constantly having seizures
  • It has a major side effect of leaving the patients with numerous residual side effects, such as memory loss, cognitive defects, movement issues etc. this occurs because a part of the brain is actually removed and thus the chances of side effects are high

The second, less common type of epilepsy surgery interrupts nerve pathways that allow seizures to spread. The term disconnection is sometimes used to describe it.

• One example of this kind of procedure is called a corpus callosotomy. (When you see "otomy" at the end of a word, it means that that thing is being cut.)
  • A procedure called multiple subpial transections is another example of this type of surgery. This procedure may be helpful when seizures begin in areas that are too important to remove.
  • Disconnection procedures are generally thought of as providing relief, but not a cure.
  • this does not cause as many side effects as a resection does but it does not completely cure the problem.

The third type is the type which I think you would benefit from the most. Thermal ablation is also called laser interstitial thermal therapy or LITT procedure. It is a type of laser surgery using MRI to help target the area of the brain to be operated on. The procedure is able to eliminate a seizure focus with pinpoint accuracy. During the procedure, an MRI is done first to precisely map out the area of the affected brain. The laser is then delivered to this area, without the need for open brain surgery. This surgery can be done in any part of the brain, theoretically. However, most experience is in the temporal lobe.

Here are some more links where you can find more information on this topic,

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist