Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My 14year old son has had ocular migraines in the past few…

Customer Question
My 14year old son...

My 14year old son has had ocular migraines in the past few years. With his most recent one his right hand began to tingle, then the pain on the left side above his eye. Shortly after he throws up and goes to sleep for a few hours. He wakes up with residual pounding in his head when he coughs or sneezes. Not often though. This time after he threw up, his cheek on the left side was swollen, as well as broken blood vessels all over his face. I'm concerned about the swelling in his cheek. He said it felt heavy on that side, but not anymore. I gave him ibuprofen about 3 1/2 hours ago. That helped a bit with the swelling, and the heaviness went away. He is acting completely normal. But he has never had the swelling before. Is there anything I should do?

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Episodic. And the throwing up is usually after the pain starts.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

It actually helps to relieve the pain for him.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Neurology
3/6/2018
Neurologist: Medicaldoctor, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Medicaldoctor

Hello and welcome to Justanswer,I shall be consulting you today.

Okay so the blood vessels could break when there is inflammation due to a viral infection or this break in vessels and swelling can also be due to the pressure that is exerted during vomiting and sneezing.

You did the right thing by giving him ibuprofen as this decreases the inflammation and also the swelling.

Since he is acting normal there is not anything concerning.

You can keep giving him ibuprofen.He should be fine in a couple of days.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Let me know if you have any questions.

And also please do leave a positive 5 star rating by simply clicking on the stars on top left or bottom corner of this thread.

You are not charged for rating positively and I will be here for any follow up questions.
Thank you.

Best wishes

Do you have any more questions for me?