Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I need to have an MRI interpreted. Headaches, confusion,

I need to have...

I need to have an MRI interpreted

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have frequent headaches? Any issues with coordination or balance?

Yes, headaches, confusion, brain fog

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

No nausea, both episodic and daily pain in the head. I have a brain MRI that I need interpreted.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Also have consulted with a cervical spine specialist with emphasis on the atlas. We have x-rays and a report on the upper spine.

3/5/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)

Hello -

I can help with your MRI.

Do you have a report, or the images?

I'll be picking up the MRI image this afternoon and I can upload it later today. It was taken a couple months ago but I had given my copy to a practitioner I am no longer seeing.
The practitioner was a neurosurgeon who interpreted the MRI but did not provide a written report. This neurosurgeon took sick and I have not been able to obtain a written report. The verbal interpretation I received was that there was inflammation around the front sinuses and also indication of cerebrospinal fluid toward the rear of the brain. I have since consulted a spinal/atlas specialist who confirms atlas and spinal misalignment using x-rays of the spine. I am in the process of applying for long-term disability and I need a written report from a neurologist to confirm what the atlas/spine specialist has said, and what the previous neurologist reported but did not write; which is that there appears to be a retention of fluid within the brain and that is causing my symptoms; i.e., pain, confusion, brain fog, etc.
Will you be available later today/tomorrow to receive the MRI images?

Sure - just add the report and I can look at the images.

However, because this is only an information site, and that I am not your treating physician, we can't write any type of legal document concerning imaging findings and how they would correlate with any injury or disability.

That type of report needs to come from a physician who has seen you in person.

(A note from someone online would immediately be dismissed and be invalid)

Ok, it would at least help for us to obtain a second opinion on this MRI interpretation. How late can I forward this info to you today?

At any time; I check this account periodically throughout the day, and if it's late tonight, you'll have an answer by tomorrow morning 7:30 EST.

Is there a file size restriction? I may need to load images separately. There were several angles taken. Do you have preference on which angle/aspect?

No real preference on the angle, but T2 images are more helpful at looking at cerebrospinal fluid issues.

There were three T2 series on the MRI Disk. I have uploaded the series titled "t2_blade_tra_320_MR". Here are the first twenty screen captures from the first series of the fourth study on the MRI disk. I will forward the remaining screen captures from this study on the next message.
Here are the remaining images from the above series titled "t2_blade_tra_320_MR" for a total of 38 images.
Here I have uploaded the series titled "t2_fl2d_AX HEMO (MR)" from the same study. Here are the first twenty screen captures from the series on the MRI disk. I will forward the remaining screen captures from this study on the next message.
Here are the remaining images from the above series titled "t2_fl2d_AX HEMO (MR)" for a total of 38 images.
Here I have uploaded the series titled "t2_tse_COR (MR)". Here are the first twenty screen captures on the MRI disk. I will forward the remaining screen captures from this study on the next message.
Here are the remaining images from the above series titled "t2_tse_COR (MR)" for a total of 38 images. This is the last T2 series that was taken and recorded on the MRI disk. I will contact you tomorrow after I have reviewed your analysis; since it is fairly late here I anticipate that I won't be back online until late morning or mid-day. Thanks for your assistance with this case.
Hello-Unfortunately these all seem to be single pictures, not a series of pictures. I don’t see an area of obvious abnormality on these images but they are incomplete. Probably only 20 percent of the images are included here. Maybe a movie file, short video of the mri with you scrolling through the mri would be more helpful?
Each series I have submitted is complete, and each consists of exactly 38 images. I have uploaded a screen capture of the study's series description so that you may confirm that each series is complete. There are alternate series included, but they are not T2 studies.
I attempted to upload the DICOM images directly, however the justanswer.com site will only accept standard image files, .jpg, .bmp, etc.
Is there an alternate email address where I can upload the DICOM images directly? Then you can use your own software to run through the images and view them directly.
This is ridiculous. Justanswer.com advertises this site as a way to obtain an expert opinion from a Neurologist, but it has no mechanism for uploading the basic diagnostic tool of the Neurologist--the direct MRI study. I am going to complain to the site that this essential function is missing from their site. (this obviously is not your fault but impacts the effectiveness of the service I may receive from you)
If I were able to upload the DICOM images to an FTP folder, would you be able to access them if I provided you with the FTP address for download?
I contacted the Justanswer.com representative via chatbox and he told me that I can try to send you the DICOM images to you directly by attaching them to an email addressed to Justanswer.com support. Would you be able to upload the images to your MRI viewer software directly that way?
Have you decided not to respond any more?

If I can get the DICOM images I will give you my interpretation.

Some people make a video and post it onto youtube as well.

do you have a preference of which T2 study you would prefer?
if I try to do all three T2 studies, that would be 114 attachments
I'll look into trying to post a youtube video; I'll have to figure that one out.
People use the video on their camera, scroll through the images on their computer while taking a video of it, and upload the video. The axial and sagittal images are fine
I'm not familiar with the terms axial and sagittal, I only know the names of the series. Is there a particular series? I have three:
1. t2_blade_tra_320_MR
2. t2_fl2d_AX HEMO (MR)
3. t2_tse_COR (MR)
Please let me know if you prefer selection 1, 2, or 3.
I copied the images from the fourth folder of the study to an email and forwarded it to the Justanswer.com support email address. I think that the folder contains the t2_blade_tra_320_MR series, but I'm not sure since the folders are not labeled, just numbered. I'll also send the images from the 10th folder; I think those are of the t2_tse_COR (MR) series. If you cannot read these images I'll try to make a video and post it to youtube.

Hello-

OK.

I do see inflammation in the left maxillary sinus (sinus infection/inflammation).

You cannot see the atlas (C1) on the MRI to make any interpretation on this area.

And I am not sure exactly what you are referring to with the cerebrospinal fluid in the back of the brain -- you do not have a cisterna magna, you do not have hydrocephalus, you do not have a Chiari. There may be a very, very small arachnoid cyst in the medial left occipital lobe, but that is not causing any issues.

Did you also ask the imaging center for their written report on the MRI? This would have been written by a neuro-radiologist, and would provide documentation for any issues you may have.

we do have the report from the imaging center. It states:
(1367663) MRBRAINWWO – MRI BRAIN WITH AND WITHOUT CONTRAST
Clinical indication: 59yo female. DX:HAs, memory issues, shooting pain in head. Pt states new onset intermittent HAs x 5 weeks. no injury. ,10/12/17 bun 14 cre 0.76 gfr .60 12ml Prohance inj 22 angiocath RAC>
Comprisons: CT sinus report from Presbyterian dated 10/3/2011.
AICRAD
Exam: MRI BRAIN WITH AND WITHOUT CONTRAST 12 mL of IV ProHance contrast.
Findings: There are several small patchy and scattered foci of T2 signal alteration in the central white matter and subcortical regions.
None of these lesions enhance on the postgadolinium sequences.
The major arterial and venous flow voids appear normal.
There is mild diffuse cortical volume loss.
The visualized internal auditory canals are unremarkable.
There is mild polypoid mucosal disease in the left>right maxillary sinuses, and the ethmoid air cells, with small air-fluid levels in the bilateral maxillary sinuses. There is nasoseptal deviation convex right. There is no significant opacification the mastoid air cells.
The visualized parotid glands are negative.
The visualized TMJs are located bilaterally.
The visualized globes and orbital contents are negative.
The cranio-cervical junction is normal.
The images are slightly compromised secondary to patient tilt / positioning on the MRI scanner.
IMPRESSION:
1. There are several small patchy and scattered foci of T2 signal alteration in the central white matter – these findings are nonspecific regarding etiology – and may be seen in Mild to moderate small vessel ischemic disease, migraines, hypertension. Clinical correlation is advised.
2. Otherwise – there are NO ACUTE intracranial findings – there is NO acute infarction, acute intracranial hemorrhage, nor intraparenchymal masses.
3. There is mild polypoid scattered paranasal sinus disease, with small air-fluid levels in bilateral maxillary sinuses, as detailed above.
If there is strong clinical concern to further evaluate the paranasal sinuses for disease – a dedicated (outpatient elective) CT of the Sinuses may be of further benefit.4. There are other minor findings as detailed above.
The Neuro Surgeon I cited above who took sick is the person who told us that she observed cerebrospinal inflammation/retention issues. She is no longer available to provide written reports, and she did not provide us a written report after she interpreted the MRI for us in her office.
The Neuro Surgeon is not the same person who provided the report from the imaging center.
I do have a complete and detailed x-ray of the spinal area including the atlas. Would it be helpful?
By the way, I mentioned to the Justanswer.com representative that there does not appear a way to upload MRI images directly via the website. Perhaps you could speak to them also regarding this upload issue also.

I don't see any evidence on the MRI to say there is hydrocephalus (the fluid building up in the brain - "retention" issues), and the MRI report basically says the same thing.

I'm not sure what the neurosurgeon is referring to when she mentioned cerebrospinal inflammation issues. Perhaps getting her last office note would be helpful in trying to figure out what she meant by her statement?

The xray wouldn't be too helpful, as that just looks at the bony architecture of the spine, looking for fractures or alignment issues. You cannot tell anything about cerebrospinal inflammation issues on the xrays.

Thanks for your help with this analysis. I'm glad that I was able to get you the actual DICOM images. I hope that Justanswer.com is able to resolve the issues of uploading MRI images directly--I'm sure that would assist you in your analyses in the future.

Yes, it would be helpful to be able to upload any type of file, as it is very painful to upload a single image at a time, when most MRIs have over 200 separate images.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

I do have another request. I don't know whether you can infer any neurological condition from X-rays, but I have loaded some images for you to review. They were taken by an atlas specialist who has superimposed some interpretative notes and lines. Please let me know if you can make any comment on these. I have awarded you a five-star rating, you have been very candid and helpful with your assessment.

Well, the measurements on the xrays just show a very mild curvature (scoliosis), which is not really clinically important. It could be that you were just leaning slightly when they took the xray.

What I do see is that you have significant C5-6 degeneration on your neck xray, and that this could theorectically be a reason for neck and arm pains. If you do have that, MRI imaging of the spine may be useful for you.

I don't see anything wrong with your atlas.

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
We have ordered additional MRI images for the upper cervical area and the lower lumbar region because of sciatica. Your analysis confirms our other analysis of degeneration in the C5-6 area. That confirmation of previous analysis has been very helpful.
Now I am trying to explain the tenseness I continually have in my neck area. It seems like the neck muscles are in constant tension and I get spasms in my neck. Could those spasms be a result of the degeneration of the C5-6? What therapies are available to treat that kind of degeneration? I am seeing an atlas chiropractic specialist but I don't know if that therapy is going to help degeneration issues. When you say degeneration, does that mean degeneration of the bone or degeneration of the disks or something else?
What are the typical symptoms of degeneration of the C5-6 area? Do you mean degeneration of the disks or of the bones?

There is degeneration of the C5-6 disc, which can result in increased pressure on the joints of the neck (arthritis) or put pressure on the nerves in the neck (radiculopathy) - which can cause neck spasms.

The MRI of the cervical spine will be helpful, in figuring out what may be helpful in treatment. Physical therapy, epidural steroid injections, medications, surgery are all options.