Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I’m not sure if my issue is neurology or mental health. I’ve…

I’m not sure if my...
I’m not sure if my issue is neurology or mental health. I’ve had a few concussions in the past from getting thrown off horses. I’ve always had ringing in my ears, headaches and occasional migraines. Lately they are daily. My brain feels very dizzy and light headed. It all began to get more extreme a few weeks ago with intense ringing in my right ear and I felt almost blind in my right eye. Then a sudden fever swept through my head for about 15 minutes then it was gone. My focus seems to be getting worse, I can’t seem to process emotions as well as before. I’m not sure how concern I should be or what kind of help I should look for in regards ***** ***** kind of doctor or Specailist. I don’t see a physician. I hoping to be pointed in a direction because otherwise I’ll just keep dealing with the pain hoping it’ll just go away on it’s on.
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/16/2018
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about your health as you have described above. As a Neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

I see you have had few concussions in the past and now you have been having multiple health symptoms that you have mentioned above on daily basis in the form of ringing sound in the ears, headaches, migraines, blind feeling in the right eye, episodes of sudden fever in the head, focus getting worse, not able to process emotions as well as you used to do before etc

The types of symptoms you have been having require an evaluation initially from a neurologist. The neurologist will conduct a thorough neurological examination in the clinic that will include checking your cognitive functions including focus, memory etc, and also cranial nerve examination, motor, reflexes, muscle tone, sensory examination, gait, coordination and balance etc and then the neurologist will also arrange for certain relevant neurological investigations that may include some of the following;

A) An MRI scan of the brain

B) Certain specific blood tests that may include the following;

1) Thyroid

2) Vitamin levels

3) ESR, CRP, ANA

4) Comprehensive metabolic panel etc

C) A Spinal tap (Lumbar Puncture) for the laboratory analysis of CSF (Cerebrospinal Fluid)

D) An MRA (MR Angiogram) - to study the arterial blood flow to the brain

E) An EEG (Study of the brain waves) etc

Not necessarily all the above investigations may be necessary, the neurologist will be in a position to decide which ones among the above mentioned investigations are required in your case after conducting a thorough neurological examination in the clinic. And also if any of the above investigations have already been done then there is no need to repeat them. The precise & specific treatment plan will depend upon the results of the above mentioned investigations and in the meantime you may try some of the following therapeutic measures (home-remedies, over the counter non-prescription preparations etc);

Adequate rest

Sufficient sleep

Adequate fluid/water intake

Healthy, Nutritious & balanced diet

Daily exercises

Nutritional supplements such as the following;

Methyl Guard Plus (which is a combination of active forms of vitamin b12, vitamin b9/folate, vitamin b6, vitamin b2)

Vitamin B1 (Sulbutiamine form – which has better penetration to the brain than the other forms)

ALA (Alpha lipoic acid)

Acetyl L Carnitine

Coenzyme Q10 etc

These above mentioned nutritional supplements too can help in getting relief from the symptoms, and also assist you with faster recovery too.

Antioxidant preparation such as “Advanced Antioxidant Formula” or “Super Oxidants” can help too and these all positively influence the optimum functioning of the vital organs such as brain, heart, lung, liver etc and also will help you in maintaining optimum overall health & a strong sense and high level of well-being.

To summarize once again;

1) Seeing a neurologist in the clinic is the correct thing to do now since we need to explore the possibilities of any neurological basis for the various symptoms you have been having

2) A thorough evaluation and clinical examination in the clinic by a neurologist followed by certain relevant neurological investigations as mentioned above can help us in ascertaining the precise cause for these various symptoms

3) The specific treatment will depend upon the particular diagnosis that is made after the above investigations are conducted, and in the mean time you may consider trying some of the above mentioned treatments

4) And very importantly, please see this does not appear secondary to any serious or irreversible, or permanent health condition , rather this type of health condition can be diagnosed & successfully treated, so please not to be scared.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Thank you

You are very welcome! My pleasure! I am very glad you found the above information helpful!

Please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Wishing you all the very best!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)