Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been experiencing some odd symptoms lately that have…

Hello, I have been...

Hello, I have been experiencing some odd symptoms lately that have only gotten worse. The main worry is the internal tremors with head pressure, last night was at its worst. I couldn't sleep because there was so much pressure in my head and the internal tremors were intense. Along with these symptoms, I experience joint stiffness, weakness, dry eyes, constipation, lack of energy, numbness on my right arm and just general shakiness. I had an MRI of my brain with contrast done about a month ago and everything looked normal, I also had blood tests and echocardiogram which came back normal. All done about a month ago. In that month the internal tremors have gotten worse. My doctor thinks it is anxiety related, but I feel these symptoms are causing the anxiety. I have also seen a chiropractor quite a few times to see if he could help with the numbness in my arm and it hasn't gone away. What do you think this could be? Could it be heavy metal poisoning, such as lead, mercury etc? Or is it something else like a nerve disorder? Should I go to the ER(because I can't get into the dr today) or wait it out?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

The tremors for about a little over a month now. When I am not as stressed symptoms seem to improve a little, but are still there.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have a history of anxiety disorder, but to me, this doesn't feel like anxiety.

2/16/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, there are some conditions which can cause this sort of problem. The dry eyes, constipation, and fatigue etc can all be related to hormonal disorders. The first thing which should be excluded is a thyroid disorder which can be done with the help of a simple thyroid function test if that has been done already and it has come back as normal then you should get evaluated for adrenal insufficiency. This is a condition in which the adrenal glands are unable to produce adequate amounts of cortisol which leads to the development of these symptoms. This can be diagnosed with the help of a simple cortisol level and that can be followed by other tests like short syancthen test. The treatment can be with supplemental steroids.

Yet another cause could be related to autoimmune disorders. Autoimmune disorders can cause all of these symptoms, autoimmune disorders occur because of production of antibodies against the body's own organs. This would be diagnosed with the help of various blood tests such as ESR, ANA and ENA profile. This would help in determining what kind of autoimmune disorder you have. A visit to the rheumatologist would be helpful in diagnosing the problem.

Lastly, heavy metal poisoning can be a cause provided you have been exposed to these heavy metals on a daily basis for a prolonged period of time. Such as working in an industrial area etc and if that is the case then you should get tested for lead and mercury levels in your system. Usually, these symptoms are consistent with these two particular heavy metals and it is less likely that any other heavy metals are the cause.

I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with an internal medicine specialist to start with, going to the ER would not be helpful as they would not go into the details required to make a diagnosis here.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist