Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been taking phenergen for a year or so to help me…

I have been taking phenergen...
I have been taking phenergen for a year or so to help me sleep as I have anxiety. I have slowly come off it as of a week ago but noticed I can’t sleep very well. Will I ever be able to fall asleep naturally again?
2/15/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

yes, you can sleep.

regular exercise can help you sleep better.

melatonin 1-3mg at night time can help your sleep.

for some patients, they can use 25mg of benadryl to help their sleep.

Thank you! Is Benadryl similar to phenergen do I need a script?

you are welcome

benadryl is over the counter and you don't need a prescription.

it is also called diphenhydramine 25mg and is an antihistamine first generation and can cause you to be a bit drowsy.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified MD