Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My question is about Brain Aneurysms. Approximately two

years ago, I was in...
My question is about Brain Aneurysms. Approximately two years ago, I was in a grocery store and I started seeing spots. White spots in my both of my eyes. I went to the Emergency Room and they diagnosed with me a Migraine with Aura. I had no pain. Since then, I have had 2 more episodes of this. Spots in my eyes. No pain. Each incident lasts approximately 30 minutes. Last night, the same thing occurred - spots in my eyes. But this time, about 30 minutes after the spots went away, I suddenly had a lot of pain above both eyebrows. I would rate in on a scale of 1-10, about a 6. As time went on, it got as high as an 8 or 9. It was the worst headache that I have ever had in my 29 years of living. It was above both of my eyebrows and it was constant pain. Not throbbing. Light bothered me. Sound bothered me. And my neck was very tight and hurt as well. I went to bed and when I woke up in the morning, it was gone. Tonight, as I write this, I am experiencing pain in the same place. Above both eyebrows.. This time, about a 4. However, I am now concerned that this two year issue of spots in my eyes and now pain, could possibly be related to an aneurysm. I read a story about a woman who thought she had a migraine and it ended up being an aneurysm. Looking for your advice / thoughts on this matter. Thanks.
2/13/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hi...Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani from India. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital in Chennai, India. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Hello...I understand your concern.

I need some more information please.

1. Is the headache dull aching or throbbing?

2. Are you feeling any pulsations inside the head?

3. Are you nauseous or have vomiting?

4. Is there any family history of migraine please?

But I can assure you one thing....you have an aura and also migraine for the past 2 years - so in all the probabilities it is migraine with aura.

Coming to your question proper - research has been undertaken in medical field about the prevalence of headache and association with aneurysm. But it remains unclear whether headache in general and migraine in particular are more prevalent in patients with aneurysm in brain.

Please get back to me with answers so that I can guide you better.

1) Last night, when it was very bad, it was a sharp pain. Very sharp.2) I feel no pulsations in my head.3) I was very nauseas last night, but nothing right now.4) I don’t know of anyone in my family with migraines.I just experienced another symptom as well. A sudden pain that went from my forehead and traveled to the back of my head, as if an arrow hit me in the forehead and made its way through my head. I can still feel the area on the back of my head where the pain ended. Like an exit wound.

Hello, Keeping everything in mind, I feel that what you are experiencing is only a severe form of migraine.

I agree with you that the pain has been very very sharp.

But an aneurysm will not cause pain and the pain will be catastrophic like a person have never experienced before.

The incidence world over is around 1 in 12000 to 1 in 15000.

As of now you can take pain relievers and once better can get yourself a contrast enhanced CT brain or MRI brain as it is the only way to diagnose an asymptomatic aneuryms ( which I feel in all the probabilities you do not have please).

Hope I have attended to your query to your satisfaction.

Is there anything else where I can be of assistance to you please.

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)

Hello -

An aneurysm which has not ruptured tends not to cause symptoms -- so most people do not even know they have an aneurysm.

There are several things that go against aneurysm in your case:

- you are young

- your symptoms do not match up with an aneurysm bleeding (thunderclap headache, from subarachnoid hemorrhage)

- pain from an aneurysm bleed is not typically like an arrow that hits your head. It is pain everywhere (patients describe a huge rubber band squeezing around their head)

- you are sitting here typing about your symptoms (people with subarachnoid hemorrhage from aneurysms are typically in such terrible pain they cannot do anything at all)

Nevertheless - many people for evaluation of headache/migraines will get MRI imaging of the brain as one of their tests. If you speak with your doctor and ask them to get a MRA (MR angiogram) as well, they can look at the blood vessels within the brain and see if there is concern for an aneurysm or not.

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Thank you