Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I was told that my cerebellar tonsils are 7mm beyond the…

Customer Question
I was told that...

I was told that my cerebellar tonsils are 7mm beyond the formae Magnum but they were rounded so I have nothing to worry about but my head wont stop hurting

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that makes your head feel worse or better?

I have always had migraines since I was two, nothing makes it better I jsut have to power through or take narcotics to knock me out

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Neurology
2/6/2018
Neurologist: Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD) replied 4 months ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)

Hello -

I think it may be helpful for you to discuss this with a neurosurgeon.

If you have had headaches since you were 2, and you have a MRI showing 7mm of cerebellar tonsil herniation, then you could have a symptomatic Chiari malformation.

Chiari malformation is considered 6mm or greater tonsillar herniation, and so you fit that criteria by 1mm.

The most common symptom of Chiari is headache (if it causes symptoms). So given your ongoing symptoms, it may be worthwhile for you to discuss potential surgical decompression of the foramen magnum.

Best of luck.