Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I don't know if you remember me but j have had this weird…

Hi I don't know if...
Hi I don't know if you remember me but j have had this weird feeling in my left side for about a year now. It's only when I lay on my left side. It feels like I am laying on a flat piece of something on my hip aand my lower rib cage. When I lay on my right side it feels tight on my lefrside in between my hip and rib cage. I have had a ct scan and blood work done and both came back negative. I've read that this could be a cause of an ulcer. Is that true. Another doctor on here told me that and told me to take medicine even though I have no idea if that's what it really js. I have no stomach pain whatsoever. Every time I have talked to you I feel like you have helped quite a bit. Is any of this true and should I start taking medicine for ulcers even thigh o don't know if that's it. I have another doctor's appointment next Tuesday. Should I just wait to see what they say? I've been to them twice now with no results. I'm hoping they can figure somethign out this time.
1/24/2018
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, Thanks for the question, yes I remember your case very well, and I am very glad to help you again with your health concerns

I am currently preparing & typing my answer and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

I have tried to answer your questions one by one below here;

1) I've read that this could be a cause of an ulcer. Is that true.

Please see I do not think an ulcer in the gastrointestinal tract is causing this left sided symptoms. Gastrointestinal ulcers should cause symptoms such as pain in the belly, pain associated with food intake, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or constipation, or blood in the stool, dark colored stool etc etc but the left sided body symptoms are not considered as ulcer related symptoms.

2) Another doctor on here told me that and told me to take medicine even though I have no idea if that's what it really js.

As mentioned above too without any ulcer symptoms it is really difficult to suspect ulcer disease in you as a cause for your symptoms.

3) I have no stomach pain whatsoever. Every time I have talked to you I feel like you have helped quite a bit. Is any of this true and should I start taking medicine for ulcers even thigh o don't know if that's it.

Since you are not having any gastrointestinal symptoms especially stomach pain etc there is no true suspicion for any ulcers in you, so starting an ulcer medication is not really indicated in you.

4) I have another doctor's appointment next Tuesday. Should I just wait to see what they say? I've been to them twice now with no results. I'm hoping they can figure somethign out this time.

Yes, waiting till Tuesday for your doctor’s clinic appointment is the correct thing to do now since you need further clinical examination and evaluation and possibly certain investigations to help in ascertaining the precise cause for your left sided persistent symptoms and then treated appropriately depending upon the final precise diagnosis.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. Please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Thank you so much. I didn't think I had any symptoms of an ulcer. The more I have read up in it the more I believe this could be some type of nerve damage or something along those lines. Does that seem like something that it could be. It's been going on for a year now and hasn't gotten really any worse or any better

You are very welcome! Agree, ulcer certainly does not appear the possibility, and this needs further evaluation/examination in the clinic and certain additional investigations and this can help in ascertaining the exact cause for these left sided symptoms but ulcer is not in the differential diagnoses for these types of left sided symptoms.

What certain additional investigations? Do you believe that this could be something serious?

Please see I had mentioned earlier too, I am really not suspecting anything serious in you causing these symptoms, I have seen many patients who have had symptoms such as this for long time and investigations all come normal in them and eventually these symptoms do resolve, it may take time though but these all resolve eventually. But when symptoms persist we do investigate but it is not because we are suspecting anything serious but because by doing the investigations and showing that everything is normal we can reassure the patients - so investigations may be required in your case to help in reassuring you – by proving there is really no nerve damage or neurological damage or any tumors or stroke or bleeding or MS etc.

The additional investigations may include an mri scan and a nerve and muscle test called as EMG/Nerve conduction study etc – but these tests are arranged just to prove to you there is really no neurological illnesses or anything serious going on you because when these investigations all come normal – as expected- you will feel very reassured you are indeed not having any serious illnesses to explain your symptoms and such relief and relaxation itself can make the symptoms to go away.

Please do not forget to take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health questions, and this is the only way I will be credited for my services to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
what exactly could this be? I have a hard time believing that they are "phantom pains" they are very noticible when laying down. How long can these symptoms last?

There is an entity called as functional disorders, these are health situations where a patient has symptom or symptoms but clinical examination and relevant investigations never show anything significant to explain the symptoms. And a true underlying disease is never going to be detected in these patients

While the persistent symptoms can frustrate the patient but the truth is there is no real underlying illness that is causing their symptoms, and these symptoms eventually resolve by themselves, it may take time though but all symptoms are expected to resolve with this type of condition (functional disorders).

You may try the treatments that I had mentioned in my answer to your previous question, and if you have tried all of them but no help then I will try to make few additional recommendations this time;

CBT (Cognitive Behavioral therapy)

ACT (Acceptance & Commitment Therapy)

Mindfulness meditation

Other types of meditations

Biofeedback

Hypnotherapy

Acupuncture

Deep breathing/Deep relaxation techniques

Yogas etc

If you see any of the above treatments you have not already tried then you may consider one or more of the above treatments and these can help you in getting rid of these types of persistent symptoms.

Wishing you all the very best!

Thanks & Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Thank you so much. I appreciate everything. Just because my anxiety is getting to me again you believe that there is no underlying cause but if there were to be one what could it be? I know you said nothing serious but could it be something?

You are very welcome! I am very glad I could help! Yes, it certainly appears the health anxiety and fear of serious illnesses is getting the better of you rather than there is any true illness in you. As I have mentioned above too the one and only possibility I will suspect in you is functional disorder – which is a situation where patients have symptoms but there are no examination findings or investigations findings to explain such symptoms and this is always a benign condition and these symptoms eventually resolve, it may take some time though but your symptoms are all expected to resolve, and also completely.

when I lay on my right side it seems to be getting worse. If I lay on right side and grab my left side it feels real tight but when I lay on my left side and grab my right it feels flabby. Also behind my left shoulder blade is hurting a little now also. Still nothing serious going on?

The above description you have provided now is once again not pointing towards the possibility of this being any serious condition. This is certainly a benign and reversible condition.

Also right below my chest us also having sudden sharpish bullish pains.

None of the symptoms you have mentioned so far have raised any suspicion for any serious health conditions.

I'm sorry. I get in my head way too much. I appreciate everything. Since I've made the appointment for next week I have been thinking the worst again.

No problems, I can fully understand, the health anxiety and fear of serious illnesses are certainly getting the better of you, but the absolute truth is you are not at all having any kind of serious health issues. During your next dr appointment and subsequent investigations etc certainly nothing serious will ever be going to be detected in you for sure.

Just out of curiosity how are you so certain? I've read that this feeling could definitely be cause by some sort of nerve damage or somethign along those lines

I guess I had mentioned this previously too (while answering one of your previous questions at this site), it is the pattern of the symptom that is what is clinching rather than the symptom itself, the pattern of the symptoms you have been having is not at all pointing towards the possibility of anything serious in nature.

What exactly does that mean, the pattern of the symptom and not the symptom itself?

Examples for patterns of symptoms that are pointing towards benign possibilities include – 1) A weird type of feature or nature of the symptom – symptoms that are due to real illnesses or serious illnesses present with prominent or obvious features or nature such as obvious numbness, or obvious pain, or obvious burning sensation, or obvious tingling (pins & needle sensation) etc, instead of being vague or weird type of symptoms you have been having), 2) The symptom staying in the same location for about a year or so but without either any improvement or any worsening - as happening in your case is also a symptom-pattern that very strongly indicates this has to be some benign issue rather than any real pathologies causing this type of symptoms.

I mean it is a weird feeling but it is very prominent. It is very noticible and feels very tight at times. It's not a pain though. It's more of a pressure than anything. Like I am laying in something

I was indicating “prominent” one of the above mentioned symptoms such as numbness or pain or burning or tinging etc, but symptoms such as “weird feeling” even if they also feel pressure or tight like sometimes, and also are very prominent, but these types of vague & weird symptoms turn out to be benign in nature, and also the point #2 I have mentioned above in the form of symptom staying in the same location for such a long time without any significant spread to other areas, and also no change in severity for such a long time – all these clearly indicate this has to be a benign issue.

Also would these "prominent" symptoms be constant and not just when I am laying down or sitting?

Yes, I fully concur with you - absence of constancy is another pattern related strong clue telling this is some thing benign, because a symptom from real illness or serious illness is expected to be constant, the severity may fluctuate though - but the symptom still is expected to be constant in all positions - instead of occurring only in certain positions as it is happening in your case.

One final question if possible.. What could it be if the symptoms were more persistent and of pins and needles or numbness?

No problems, please clarify if there are any doubts, with regard to the symptom-patterns – sometimes a combination of such symptom-patterns are necessary because just one or two symptom-patterns may not be sufficient to decide which side the diagnosis falls (functional/benign OR real/serious), so even if the symptom is in the form of being more persistent and also obvious symptoms such as tingling and numbness etc present but a symptom that stays without any improvement or worsening for about a year, a symptom that does not spread rather remains confined to the same region - also still raise suspicion for functional/benign condition.

If they were spreading what could it be? I've been thinking about it for a few days a lot and I feel like with me messing with it and trying to feel these symptoms I have made them worse. Could it be my mind? Probably but I'm just curious as to what it could be if it was spreading or getting worse?

If it were spreading then it still can be a functional/benign disorder, but spreading pattern of such lesions may indicate some kind of nerve damage locally, or in the spine causing a pinched spinal nerve etc - most likely secondary to some arthritis or small disc etc. In your case the symptom patterns are such that this is certainly functional disorder type - and this is in the mind/psychological rather than any real or serious illnesses.

it still wouldn't be anything too serious even if so?

Yes, precisely, even if your symptom-patterns were different and were suggestive of real illnesses but still your symptom would have been due to conditions such as some arthritis or small disc etc so there was still no suspicion for anything serious such as tumors, ms, stroke or any other serious issues.

Last thing and I promise. When I wake up my hands seem to be numb. Which hand depends on how I am sleeping. Could this be linked together or could that just be the way I am sleeping on my arm that is causing This?

Well this must be certainly unrelated to your other symptoms, this is either just related to the way you have been sleeping, or if only the first 3 fingers are affected then some early stage or mild carpal tunnel syndrome can cause such numbness, but if there is no predilection for any particular fingers rather the numbness is kind of vague and diffuse without a particular pattern or location then this numbness is related just to sleeping caused mild compression of the nerve.

It seems to be more of the middle ring and pinky finger. It happens sporadically from time to time. But nothing too serious still and not relayed to my side?
It's also only when I am sleeping and never during the day

Okay I see, this is just related to sleep, this is neither related to the other symptoms you have been having, nor related to any serious illnesses.

The feeling has seemed to not be as bad the past few days sometimes it is but for the most part it's not as bad. I'm still going to the doctor on Tuesday to see what he thinks but I'm hoping he agrees with you that it is nothing serious at all

Some improvement that you seem to be having appears secondary to the reduction in the health anxiety and fear for serious health illnesses, and I am very positive the dr that you are going to see on Tuesday will also feel your symptoms are not secondary to anything serious in nature.

I just left the doctors office and he said he doesn't know what could be causing this feeling. He felt around and did a physical exam but said he isn't sure. He wants me to get another ct and have some xrays done and then go to a gastro specialist. Does this seen like something you would have someone do also? I'm a bit nervous again. Now that he's saying it is a bit of mystery to what is causing this but he also said he doesn't think it is anything serious or life threatening.

When a patient comes to the clinic with symptoms nowadays it is very common to arrange some tests, this is not because there is really suspicion for any diseases, but this is to reassure the patient by showing them the investigations are all normal, and I really do not understand why else this dr would order tests on you with the type of symptom-pattern you have been having. It is fully expected from any dr who listens to your history to conclude these symptoms are not due to anything serious or life threatening, so this dr too considers the same is all well on the expected lines.

I am going to have the xrays and blood work done just to see if they can find anything through that but you don't believe that it will show anything? He also ordered another ct scan since the one from July was about 6 months ago. Do you believe anything could have grown or something along those lines over the past 6 months?

It is unlikely anything serious can grow so fast just in about 6 months or so.

before I had the first ct scan it and been going on for about 3 or 4 months before that. So if nothing was there then when it feels the same as it did then do you not believe that it will show anything different this time?

Irrespective of anything, your symptom pattern is such that the investigations are not going to detect anything serious in nature.

Also now I have a pain behind my left shoulder blade. It's come and go the while time. Today they were feeling around in it and pushing to see if anything hurt. It didn't at the time but now it hurts a little and my left hand feels a little cold. Could that be from them pushing on a nerve or something like that?

This is absolutely not worrisome, this should resolve very soon.

It has felt like this before and goes away but it's a little worse tonight

This is absolutely nothing serious in nature.

Im sorry but I have been doing some research because I have also been having some changes in my stool. Sometimes it's normal, Sometimes it's long a thin, And sometimes it's "messy" I've read with having that and abdomen discomfort that it could possibly be colon cancer. Would the ct scan have shown that back in July if So? I have worked myself up quite a bit because of this and am worried that when I go to this has specialists that is what they will find.

This is definitely not due to colon cancer, rather this must be secondary to IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) - which is a benign condition.

Why would it definitely not be colon cancer?
I can open another thread if need be since I have been bugging you so much.

No, you are absolutely not bugging me, but if you could open a new thread it would be better and we can discuss this issue over there.

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)