Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My wife took amitriptiline last night and she now has had…

My wife took amitriptiline...

My wife took amitriptiline last night and she now has had Myoclonic jerks for 7 hrs. what can she do?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have frequent headaches? Any issues with coordination or balance?

Sometimes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She is taking Ativan for anxiety and this is the first time she has taken this medication from an old prescription in over a year.

1/23/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your wife's symptoms. Myoclonic jerks can be a side effect of using amitriptyline or these could be involuntary movements which have occurred because of using the drug. The good news here is that these effects are transient in nature and do NOT last for long, they should usually fade away within 24-48 hours in most cases. HOWEVER, that being said if she is experiencing these side effects it is IMPORTANT to have them evaluated in the ER to rule out other causes for the problem. This would include electrolyte imbalances, neurological conditions, autoimmune conditions among others.

I would STRONGLY recommend that you take her to the ER or to the urgent care center to have her evaluated however if these effects are due to the drug then they should fade away within 1-2 days.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Is there anything she can do to help alleviate the symptoms in the meanwhile?
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist