Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My husband has been depressed for years among other

My husband has been...

My husband has been depressed for years among other problems. He says his head is spinning more often than not. We have cut his meds but the spinning goes on and he sleeps a lot. He is not very active . cannot walk fast-uses a cane. He has sen all kinds of Drs. Was diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?

I'm talking about my husband who has therapist, a psychopharmacologist, a general dr, a neurologist, has seen a nose and throat dr. i

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

W are talking about my 81 year old husband. He is type 2 Diabetic.

1/22/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)

Hello-

Has he had a MRI of the brain?

What did the neurologist think of his exam?

Has he seen an ENT doctor (ear nose throat) for the sensation of "spinning"?

Thanks. An MRI seems to be in order. Thank you

Hello -

Yes, I believe a MRI would be in order. This can help to evaluate for causes of "spinning" -- which may be related to vertigo (an inner ear condition, and MRI can help to ensure there is not a tumor - acoustic neuroma, rare).

The MRI can also help to evaluate for hydrocephalus - "fluid on the brain" (which can cause issues with walking as well), and other issues such as stroke which could be contributing to symptoms.

In addition, further examination can help to make sure the spinal cord is not contributing to the walking difficulty (such as spinal stenosis) - and MRI of the spine can be helpful in that regard.

Best of luck.

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)