Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I have inflammation in my hands, wrist and feet. I also have…

I have inflammation in...

I have inflammation in my hands, wrist and feet. I also have nerve pain in my toes. I'm trying to figure out what is going on.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Not good. My wrist crack every time I move them. Some of the joints in my toes are kin of purple

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/22/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Welcome to Ja and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. I just came online to see that you have been waiting for sometime so I'll quickly answer this question for you. Actually from your description it sounds like you may have developed an autoimmune condition which is affecting multiple joints in your body. This can be rheumatoid arthritis which is an inflammatory condition and can affect joints, muscles and nerves. This would be diagnosed on the basis of a simple clinical examination and also with the help of blood tests which can include esr, Ana, a complete Ena profile, ra factor, anti ccp antibodies among others. Once diagnosed it can be treated with the help of anti inflammatory medications or steroids or disease modifying agents like methotrexate. At the same time the above tests would also indicate that if you have any other autoimmune disease or not.
I would also advise getting a ncs emg test done which would help identify which nerve is being affected in the leg which is causing the pain. This could be a part of the autoimmune disease or even due to compression of the nerves in the back which cab occur independently of the disease due to disc prolapse or due to the disease itself.
I woukd recommend that you have this evaluated by visiting a rheumatologist who will be able to diagnose the problem.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today.
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist