Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

For the past few weeks now (maybe close to a month) have had…

For the past few weeks...
For the past few weeks now (maybe close to a month) have had a clear watery salty fluid drip from right nostril. Blowing out clear mucus from both nostrils, sneezing, postnatal drip, sometimes itchy throat . Only happens when I'm active, up and about or exercising. Doesn't happen when lying down or sitting still. No head injury, headaches or past sinus surgeries or issues. Was concerned it was csf but 2 docs on here and another site said no.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Sorry, I meant one doc on just answer and one on another site.
1/22/2018
DoctorAnil
DoctorAnil, MD with 30 years of experience

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board-certified consultant with over 30 years of experience. I’m reviewing your question and reply you soon.

Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Are you taking any medications?

Clogged ears?

Waiting for your response.
Thanks

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
My ears did feel slightly clogged, it comes and goes. I do have postnatal drip also
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Phlegm sometimes too

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe, it sounds most likely Sinusitis and you shouldn't worry about CSF discharge.

You should take some self-care measures until you see your doctor.

Do steam inhalation and saline gargles.

You should take the nasal saline spray and OTC Nasonex spray.

You should take Ibuprofen and Nyquil/Claritin.

You should hydrate yourself with warm liquids.

You should start a multivitamin supplement and vitamin C lozenges.

Take OTC Robitussin DM for a cough.

Elevate your head while lying down.

If your symptoms will persist then see an ENT specialist for further evaluation and management.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s requested to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I tried some nasal spray and cold med to dry up the runny nose but it seems stubborn. I thought it could be too dry in the house from the heat running since it got cold here
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Can this type of thing stop on it's own?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Also, can mucus be very thin and watery?

Thanks for the follow-up.

Your symptoms are associated with cold weather, low humidity, dry air.

So when you inhale cold, dry air, the moist tissue inside the nose automatically increases fluid production to do its job of protecting sensitive lung tissue resulting in such discharge.

You should continue nasal saline spray.

And use an oil based humidifier in your room.

Try all such measures as we have discussed earlier.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.
A bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Can this type of thing stop on it's own eventually?

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

Yes, it can stop eventually.

Still, try such measures.

Hope this helps.
A bonus is highly appreciated.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

DoctorAnil
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok, thank you

I wish for your good health.
Welcome.
Kind Regards
Dr.Anil

DoctorAnil
DoctorAnil