Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I was wondering if yo know why my head feels light as if…

Customer Question
I was wondering if...

I was wondering if yo know why my head feels light as if nothing in it. I find it in the front?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that makes your head feel worse or better?

No, can't pin point anything...I think it was more obvious about last chrismas

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I think I might suffer from anxiety and possibly depresson but have no diagnosis.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Neurology
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hi, was wondering why i have a light head feeling particually in the front of my head..I have been to the doctor about anxiety and once about depression but they reffered me to another place which i'm at but don't feel like it is helping my problems. also feel like i'm overly aware of myself to the extent that i find it hard to talk.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I feel like my family and friends hate me. I can also get angry and intolerant of them and find them annoying but don't actually know why i do. I don't really like myself and constally think people hate me...can get a bit paranoid no and then but not in a dramatic kind of way. I always feel like people don't really notice me as if I'm a ghost. I want to kill myself but don't want to feel the pain which I was told means that its not serious but when I read the internet it is and if anyone has those thoughts should get help so I'm not sure what to do know.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
also feel like I'm am stuck in my own head, sorry things keep poping up in my head
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
feel like things can be flat
Answered in 2 days by:
1/22/2018
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 1 month ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about your health as you have described above. As a Neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

First of all I want to inform and reassure you the various symptoms you have mentioned above are not indicative of any serious illnesses, rather it appears some underlying anxiety and/or depression is causing these symptoms. So I am not sure why they have not started treating you for this, and also I am not sure they referred to which medical specialty. But anyway before giving the diagnosis of anxiety and depression we are supposed to arrange for a thorough neurological and medical evaluation including certain investigations to make sure there are no organic causes for these symptoms. “Organic cause” is an expression used in medical field to refer to real or physical health conditions, and there are real or physical illnesses that can cause symptoms of anxiety and/or depression so first we need to rule out such organic causes and if any such organic causes are identified then this needs separate treatment, on the otherhand if all organic causes are ruled out then the anxiety and/or depression will be considered as non-organic or functional disorder, or primary psychiatric disorder– means there are no identifiable underlying disease that is causing your anxiety and/or depression and the treatment will be focussed on helping with the anxiety and/or depression.

Now coming to the workup required to ruling out organic causes for mental symptoms (real illnesses or physical illnesses) the following investigations are usually required;

1) MRI Scan of the brain – to study the brain structures

2) Spinal tap (Lumbar Puncture) for the laboratory analysis of CSF (Cerebrospinal Fluid) – to look for any infections or inflammatory conditions affecting the central nervous system and brain

3) Blood tests such as the following ones;

a) Comprehensive metabolic panel – to check for the electrolytes, liver, and kidney related blood tests

b) CBC - Complete Blood Cell count

c) Blood sugar, GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test), HbA1c (Glycosylated hemoglobin) – diabetes related tests

d) Serum total protein & globulin - tests for the status of nutrition, and also for status of immunity

e) SPEP (Serum Protein Electrophoresis), IPEP (Immuno Protein Electrophoresis), and Urine for BJP (Bence Jones Protein) – these tests are some additional immunological related tests

f) Vitamin B12, Folic acid, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B1 & B2, Vitamin D - Vitamin deficiency tests

g) TSH, T3, T4 - thyroid tests

h) ESR, CRP, ANA, dsDNA, Rheumatoid factor, SSA, SSB, Serum complement assay etc - autoimmune/inflammatory disorders tests

i) Lyme antibodies, Mono, RPR etc - chronic infection related tests

j) Heavy metal screening - tests to rule out heavy metal toxicity etc

The above mentioned are the various investigations that are usually required and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results. But please see not all of these above mentioned investigations may be necessary in your case, after a thorough examination in the clinic the Dr, preferably a Neurologist will be in a position to decide which of the above investigations are required in your case. And also if any of the above mentioned investigations have already been done recently then there is no need to repeat them again, rather the focus needs to be on those investigations that have not already been done.

If the above investigations reveal any underlying pathological condition that is causing your symptoms then it will be treated appropriately, for example if there is thyroid disease then treatment will be directed towards normalizing the thyroid function, if there are any vitamin deficiency detected then it will be treated accordingly.

If the above investigations all come normal then the anxiety and/or depression you have been having will be considered as primary or functional or non-organic meaning there are no underlying pathological conditions to explain these symptoms and the treatment will include some of the following;

1) Non-medication approaches for treating anxiety and/or depression;

A) Using certain procedures such as;

CBT (Cognitive Behavioral therapy)

ACT (Acceptance & Commitment Therapy)

Mindfulness meditation

Other types of meditations

Biofeedback

Hypnotherapy

Acupuncture

Deep breathing/Deep relaxation techniques

Yogas etc

B) Using certain medical devices such as;

CES (Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation) etc

2) Medication approaches for treating anxiety and/or depression;

A) Non-prescription OTC (over the counter) individual herbal or natural supplement preparations such as, one or more of the following;

SAMe (S Adenosyl Methionine)

Tryptophan

5 Hydroxy Tryptophan

Cannabinoid CBD Hemp oil

St Jones Wort etc

C) Prescription medications (allopathic medications) such as the following;

One of the SSRI agents such as Fluoxetine or Sertraline

Amitriptyline + Chlordiazepoxide – Limbitrol or Limbitrol DS

One of the GABA structural analogues such as Gabapentin or Pregabalin

Azapirone agent Buspirone etc

The above list contains names of prescription allopathic medications, non-prescription OTC herbal/natural medications, as well as certain non-medication treatment options too - so that the treatment plan can be chosen depending upon the individual preferences.

And I am not telling all these above treatments are required in your case, but providing you with a list of varieties of treatment options that are available for your condition - so that you are familiar with the various treatment options that are available to help with your health condition. If you see any of the above treatments you have already tried please disregard them and you may consider exploring the ones you have not already tried yet.

In addition to trying some of the above mentioned specific treatments also trying certain general measures such as adequate daily exercises, especially aerobic exercises and eating healthy & balanced diet is recommended too - since they also contribute the dilution & management of anxiety and/or depression.

Along with the above therapeutic interventions you may also consider trying certain over the counter/non-prescription nutritional supplements such as the following ones;

Methyl Guard Plus (which is a combination of active forms of vitamin b12, vitamin b9/folate, vitamin b6, vitamin b2)

Vitamin B1 (Sulbutiamine form – which has better penetration to the brain than the other forms)

Vitamin A, D, E & C

ALA (Alpha lipoic acid)

Acetyl L Carnitine

Coenzyme Q10 etc

These above mentioned nutritional supplements too can help in getting relief from the symptoms, and also assist you with faster recovery too.

Antioxidant preparation such as “Advanced Antioxidant Formula” or “Super Oxidants” can help too and these all positively influence the brain, heart & lung functions, and also the functions of other organs, tissues and cells in the body.

To summarize once again;

Please see it does indeed appear you are not having any neurological/brain or medical conditions causing the symptoms you have been having - but before finalizing the diagnosis it is a standard practice to get neurologically and medically evaluated for exploring any organic causes that may be causing your symptoms, if any such organic or underlying health conditions are detected during the above mentioned workup then it will be treated appropriately, on the othehand if all such organic or underlying health conditions are ruled out (which is most likely the possibility in your case) then you will require treatment for anxiety and/or depression and the above mentioned are the various treatment options to help with anxiety and/or depression, you will not require all the above mentioned treatments, but I am providing you with a list such as the above one so that you are familiar with the various therapeutic interventions that are available to help with anxiety and/or depression condition.

And very importantly, please see this type of health issue can be diagnosed & successfully treated, so please not to be scared or not to lose hopes, an early diagnosis and treatment gives the best chance for quick & complete cure so please try to see a Neurologist asap and try to undergo a thorough clinical examination & neurological & medical investigations as discussed earlier above, which will help you with the best outcome and best results!

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please do not forget to take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health questions, and this is the only way I will be credited for my services to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, I hope I am not bothering you, I am trying following up on your health issues, have you received the answer I have posted above? And have you had a chance to go through the above answer?

Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss further the health concerns you have expressed above, or any other health related concerns?

Please let me know and I am available for further health discussions.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)