Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

At night I get this nerve pain on the front of my right

At night I get...

At night I get this nerve pain on the front of my right thigh. which prevents me from sleeping. It is very sensitive to any light touch. What can I do to ease the pain? I tried Advil, but I hate to take a pain killer on a regular basis!

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

I have had this pain on an off. It depends also on the position of my leg.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had a hip replacement on the same side 5 years ago.

1/18/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually from what you are describing it sounds like that you are experiencing nerve pain in the thigh because of compression of the nerve either in the lower back or in the region of the hip joint. This could occur when you lie down as at that time the nerve is compressed which leads to the increased sensitivity of the nerve. If this is the case then an NCS/EMG test along with an MRI would be diagnostic. If compression is the cause then it can be relieved with surgery or with the help of an injection of steroids. It may also be helped with prescription medications like Lyrica or Neurontin. TENS therapy would also be helpful which uses electrical current to stimulate the nerves and help with the pain. It is possible that fibrosis at the site of the hip replacement surgery is causing the compression and the above methods can help in that case.

Another cause can be neuralgia which is damage to the nerve itself, it would be diagnosed with the same NCS/EMG test as well. The treatment is essentially the same however at the same time the underlying cause would also need to be determined which could be a viral infection, nutritional deficiencies or even autoimmune causes. The underlying cause would be treated which can help in eliminating the pain completely.

Right now I would suggest that you try using OTC capsaicin gel on the area but you will need regular painkillers at night until you get to see your doctor. You can use Advil at a dose of 400 mg once but at the same time start using OTC Prilosec at a dose of 10 mg which will protect your stomach as well. You can also use supplements like vitamin b12, folic acid and alpha lipoic acid which can also help the nerves, acetyl L carnitine can also be helpful here as well.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist