Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I have a question. I am pretty sure I have health anxiety,

Hi! I have a...

Hi! I have a question. I am pretty sure I have health anxiety, which comes and goes. A year and a half ago now I was experiencing some pain on one side of my tongue. I was to an oral medicine specialist who suggested because my tongue appeared normal, it was neurological. He tested my cranial nerves, all ok, and then just said that he wasn’t at all concerned that I had MS, but that I should keep that in the back of my mind in case any other neurological symptoms show up. Since then I have worried myself crazy about having MS. I did end up having an MRI of my brain and spine 1 year ago but that was all clear. Just recently I had a strange feeling in one of my toes - like a string was tied around it - which has sent me into again worrying that I have MS. I’ve read about the plantar reflex test and have tried that on myself ... and both my feet have very little response. However when I prick my soles with a pin, the toes move a tiny fraction on one side, whereas on the other side, the big toe stays still and the other toes move down a fraction. Is this abnormal?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Only that the mouth pain I was experi ncring which lasted on and off for 6 months, has basically gone away now

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/18/2018
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you are concerned whether you are a case of MS. As a Neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

You are unlikely a case of ms, and there is certainly no doubt in this regard

Your clinical history is not at all pointing towards the possibility of ms for the following reasons;

1) First of all a symptom such as pain in the tongue is not considered as a symptom of ms

2) MS presents with certain very prominent symptoms such as severe blurring of vision or loss of vision in one eye, paralysis of limbs on one side, facial droop on one side, loss of sensation or numbness on one side of the body or face, speech or swallowing difficulties, double vision etc but you are not having any such symptoms suspicious for ms

3) You did have a brain and spine mri about a year ago which was normal and did not show any ms

4) A symptom such as a string tied around one toe it is not how ms presents, rather ms should present with very prominent and obvious symptoms such as the ones I have mentioned earlier above.

5) Also ms is unlikely to involve just one toe etc, rather ms should affect large areas of the body such as whole leg or whole foot etc but not just one toe

6) Neurological tests, especially the plantar reflex/esponse or the Babinski sign test of the big toes is very difficult to self-administer accordingly we advise people not to try this test themselves at home because this test can show confusing findings when someone administers this test on themselves, anyway the findings you have mentioned above are not enough to suspect any neurological diseases including ms etc

We can analyse your case from any angle but there is definitely no suspicion for ms in you

Once again I can very categorically reassure you, there is absolutely no evidence for ms in you and there is not even an iota of doubt in this regard, so please not to be scared.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)