Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have mild foraminal stenosis at C6-C7, could this be

causing weakness in right arm...
I have mild foraminal stenosis at C6-C7, could this be causing weakness in right arm and leg? Arm is worse than leg
1/16/2018
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions. I had answered health questions for you before too and I am very glad to help you again with your health concerns.

I see you have questions related to the scan finding of the cervical spine as well as motor weakness in the right arm and leg, arm > leg. As a Neurologist I frequently read & interpret scan findings of cervical spine and very familiar with these findings, and I can certainly help you in this regard.

I am currently preparing & typing my answer and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

I am almost done with my typing; I will follow up with you at the earliest.

Best Regards!

Please see if the scan of the cervical spine such as mri scan etc is showing only mild neural foraminal stenosis then chances are very less this finding is the cause for your motor weakness symptom on the right side.

First of all I assume this scan finding is also on the right side as the right sided weakness, if for example if the scan findings are on the other side obviously it cannot explain the right sided weakness

But even if the scan finding is on the right side, still mild neural foraminal stenosis is very less likely to cause weakness of the right sided muscles

If it is just foraminal stenosis then the right leg weakness cannot be explained at all because – the foraminal stenosis – if at all causes weakness can only cause weakness of the upper limb muscles but not the lower limb muscles. Cervical spine conditions can affect the leg muscles too but that happens only if there is spinal cord compression but not otherwise. Since you have not mentioned spinal cord issues so I assume there is no damage to the spinal cord of any king which also means the right leg weakness cannot be coming from the cervical spine, in otherwords the c6-7 foraminal stenosis can never explain the right leg weakness

As far as the upper limb weakness, mild foraminal stenosis may rarely cause weakness but mild stenosis causing weakness is not common. Also if it causes weakness then it will be very mild in severity not more than that.

If you have mild muscle weakness of the right arm then there is a small possibility it may be caused by the above scan finding, but the leg weakness cannot be explained by the scan finding

Once again to your main question, please see just mild neural foraminal stenosis is uncommon to cause upper limb weakness, but rarely it can do so, but the leg weakness is certainly not related to the above mentioned scan finding.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Okay thank you

You are very welcome! My pleasure! I am very glad you found the above information helpful!

Wishing you all the very best!

Thanks & Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD