Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Yesterday I was getting some tingling in the top of my head.

Then I noticed pressure in...
Yesterday I was getting some tingling in the top of my head. Then I noticed pressure in my head and neck with certain head movements. At one point, after looking up at something, I felt lightheaded. Later that night, I came upstairs, did a few things, then I got room spinning dizziness. I don’t remember if I made a sudden head movement, but I think I may have. I sat down, and the dizziness lasted for about 10 to 15 seconds.
1/16/2018
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

How old are you?

33
Almost 34
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions. I see you have requested for a new professional, I had answered health questions for you before too and I am very glad to help you again with your health concerns.

Please see this type of spinning dizziness is medically also called as Vertigo. Vertigo is spinning type of dizziness where the individuals feel an illusionary sensation of either themselves spinning and/or feel their surrounding is spinning.

There are myriad causes for vertigo sensation, and in your case it appears the cause for your vertigo is a condition called as BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Postural Vertigo). With this condition severe vertigo (spinning sensation) can occur, especially in certain positions, or during sudden change in positions (sudden head turning or other types of sudden head movements, looking upwards, or rolling over the bed, sudden standing up from a sitting or lying down position etc). Different positions or change in positions may trigger or precipitate the onset of the vertigo in different individuals.

This condition results from abnormal movement within the inner ear of small stone like structures formed by calcium crystals. In certain head positions these stones freely move inside the inner ear and irritate the balance sensors triggering the vertigo & dizziness feeling

If this type of vertigo occurs again the best treatment for this is through what is called as Epley maneuver. It is a scientifically proven procedure focusing on the head, neck, eye movements & posture and it can help in getting this stone out of these canals and promptly relieve the symptoms. This treatment is tried in addition to avoiding sudden change in positons.

This exercise can be taught to you by a clinic-Dr (such as a Neurologist, or ENT Dr, or your Primary Care Dr etc), or by some experienced Physical therapists too. Before initiating this treatment they will also perform a simple diagnostic maneuver called as Dix-Hallpike procedure to confirm the diagnosis of BPPV and then initiate the above mentioned treatment.

If this type of vertigo occurs again then initially you may also try over the counter Tablet Meclizine or Tablet Bonine, the starting dose is 12.5 mg three to four times/day. The dose can be increased slowly as required until a maximum of 75 mg 4 times/day. In some patients this medication itself can relieve the symptoms. If it helps then the Epley maneuver treatment is not necessary, but if the medication is not sufficiently helping then please try to receive the special treatment mentioned above - the Epley maneuver - which is an extremely effective treatment for this type of vertigo and dizziness. All you need is one single treatment and it will immensely help, and if you ever experience this type of vertigo again in the future then epley maneuver can be tried again and it can continue to help you.

This condition in general doesn’t require any additional investigations because it is a clinical diagnosis.

Also please note, if the above mentioned symptoms such as vertigo/dizziness, some tingling on the top of the head, pressure in the head & neck etc are the only significant symptoms you have had then there is no suspicion for any other serious conditions like stroke etc, however if these symptoms are still persisting you may also try undergo an MRI scan of the brain – just as a precautionary measure, but as pointed above if there are no additional symptoms (such as double vision, motor paralysis of the limbs, or facial droop or speech difficulties, or swallowing difficulties etc) then this must be due to the above mentioned inner ear condition rather than anything related to the brain.

To summarize once again;

1) The severe vertigo (Spinning type of dizziness) you have had was most likely related to an inner ear condition called as BPPV and this is due to tiny calcium crystal movement within the inner ear.

2) The best treatment for this condition is a special maneuver called as Epley maneuver, and it can be obtained from one of the above mentioned health care professionals

3) If this happens again initially you may try over the counter Meclizine or Bonine etc and these can also help, if these meds do not help then you may try Epley maneuver

4) Please also try to avoid abrupt changing positions etc, and this itself can prevent vertigo occurring again in most patients.

5) Also I want to reassure you these symptoms do not appear secondary to stroke or anything serious in nature, however if symptoms persist then you may also try to undergo a brain scan like MRI scan, but if the symptoms have already been resolved and also if you are not having any of the additional symptoms that I had mentioned earlier then there is no need for brain MRI scan etc because there is absolutely no suspicion for any brain related conditions such as stroke, or brain tumors or any other brain related conditions in you, so plea please not to be scared

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)