Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I have been experiencing an odd taste in my mouth which is…

I have been experiencing...

I have been experiencing an odd taste in my mouth which is immediately followed a tingling sensation/numbness that starts below my navel and proceeds up to the level of my upper chest. Occasionally, I smell an odd odor and this triggers the same response. I don't lose awareness nor do I have diminished vision, or tactile sensation. Nor is there any LOC. There is no overt precipitant nor time of day.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?

Just over a year. My health is generally good; however, yesterday was able to trigger an episode by breathing through my nose and end same by switching to mouth breathing.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

70 years of age, white male, only chronic illness is gout.

1/16/2018
drphophalia

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Your symptoms can be due to gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) / Acid reflux.

Your symptoms are unlikely due to mini stroke or problems related to brain (cerebrovascular disease).

You may try following;

1) Prilosec

2) Mylanta / Tums.

3) Avoid fatty and fried meals.

If the above measures do not help you, you may need an ultrasound of abdomen and upper gastrointestinal endoscopy.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions. It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have been a registered nurse for 43 years, trust me it’s
NOT GERD! The times and activities vary through the day, it starts when I have an odd scent in my nose and if I sniff a few times, it brings on thisntimgling/ numbness feeling that
Starts just below my navel and proceeds up to the top my chest and subsides after 5 or6 minutes leaving me mildly lethargic for appr
15
or so minutes . This is duplicated with an odd taste in my mouth and continues along the very same path to completion. This has happened approx.10 times over three months. Any ideas that would be of s neurologist nature as opposed to a gastroenterologist field?

Okay, my job is easy now.

There are neurological disorders for taste issues but most of them would accompany some neurological manifestations as well. Following should be looked for;

1) The peripheral nerves; facial, glossopharyngeal and vagus nerve

2) Central nervous system; brainstem, thalamus.

The causes has to be considered are;

a) Drugs / herbs and physical agents,

b) cerebrovascular disorders

c) isolated cranial mononeuropathy

d) dementia,

e) multiple sclerosis

f) major depression.

g) tumors.

h) idiopathic.

Zinc may be tried in idiopathic dysgeusia.

Endocrine abnormalities also is a major cause for it and need to be looked.

Let me know, if you need further information.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** more in depth response !

You are most welcome.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

A positive rating would be highly appreciated.

My best,

drphophalia
drphophalia
drphophalia
drphophalia, Other