Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I had synovial cyst removed (not all of it as it was wrapped…

I had synovial cyst...

I had synovial cyst removed (not all of it as it was wrapped up

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Inyo nerve)

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

I had synovial cyst L5-S1 removed, (not completely) 6 months ago. No fusion. The horrible 10/10 pain improved to 5/10. Still having nerve pain and have numbness down buttock to toes. Gabapentin 300 mg bid did not improve pain and gave me dizziness so it was stopped. Now trying Lyrica 75 mg for 2 weeks without improvement and same side effects. I am a Procedure Room nurse and need to be sharp. Pain and numbness is preventing me from doing my job at 100%. Any recommendations?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I was told the numbness most likely will be permanent. I had a steroid epidural 4 months after surgery to see if it would calm down the nerve pain but it didn’t help. I am otherwise healthy, don’t want to take narcotics and want to continue to work

1/16/2018
drphophalia

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

I am so sorry for your persistent pain. It is so good to hear about your zeal to continue your work by 100% efficiency. I am sure this positive attitude would help in overcoming this issue. Medications like Lyrica and Gabapentin are similar group of medicines and may take almost 4-6 weeks to show significant improvement. But advise effects may be perceptible and persistent. Non drug measures may be tried intermittently which can help in long term;

1) Physical therapy and occupational therapy, plays an important role in functional restoration. The goal is to increase strength and flexibility gradually.

2) Recreational therapy; take part in pleasurable activities that help to decrease pain.

3) Vocational therapy; provide work capacities and targeted work hardening.

4) Pool therapy termed hydrotherapy.

5) Acupuncture

6) Relaxation techniques; associated with the above treatment.

7) Biofeedback training.

8) Yoga.

9) St. John's wort, ginseng, valerian, botanical oil, melatonin.

Supplements and alternative integrative therapy protocols for pain relief are;

1) Evening primrose oil

2) Acetyl-l-carnitine

3) Alpha-lipoic acid

4) Benfotiamine (Milgamma), 100 mg, is a lipid-soluble vitamin B1 analogue

5) Vitamin E

6) Acupuncture

7) Yoga

8) Prolotherapy.

The helpful herbs are;

1) Willow bark
2) Devil's Claw
3) Feverfew
4) St. John's wort
5) Valerian
6) Boswellia
7) Curcumin
8) Ginger extract.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The pain is preventing me from doing my job completely. When I come home at night I’m exhausted. Not sleeping well, difficult getting comfortable. I’ve tried heat, massage, acupuncture in the past without improvememt. OTC NSAIDS gave me gastritis in past that I have recently healed through medication. The physical things you suggested to do will only make me have more pain, so I’m not sure that is the answer. Herbs are not evidence based medicine, and do not think they will help.

The other measures are;

1) Bier block (intravenous regional block)

2) Continuous epidural infusion

3) Spinal cord stimulator

4) Baclofen pump; Intrathecal infusion (Intrathecal bupivacaine infusion or Morphine pump are the other alternatives)

It is privilege assisting you.

Commonly used medications, I am sure, you would be aware of are;

Commonly used medications are;

1) amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep),

2) nortriptyline (Aventyl, Pamelor)

3) desipramine (Norpramin)

4) pregabalin (Lyrica)

5) phenytoin (Dilantin)

6) carbamazepine (Tegretol)

7) venlafaxine (Effexor)

8) duloxetine (Cymbalta).

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I will be making an appointment with a rehab specialist shortly.

You are very welcome.

It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl
drphophalia
drphophalia
drphophalia
drphophalia, Other