Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I slipped on ice and fell on my left elbow. The elbow was…

Customer Question
I slipped on ice and...
I slipped on ice and fell on my left elbow. The elbow was cut so deep it needed 6 stitches. I had an x-ray and there were no breaks. I went to an orthopedic octor today because the pain was so bad, it felt like it was in the bone. The doctor did another x-ray and confirmed no breaks but she splinted my arm anyway. The damage was so deep she said it seems I damaged the bursa very badly. Why did the doctor splint my arm?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Neurology
1/13/2018
Neurologist: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 1 month ago

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Did the splint immobilize your elbow?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I please get an answer on this site, I prefer no calls

The only use for a splinting like that is to immobilize the elbow

That puts to rest the tendons and the bursal sack around the elbow just to aid in healing of the inflammation

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Today, my hand is swollen and a little cold. The splint does not feel too tight. When the doctor splinted my elbow it was bent. I have been trying to raise it above my head but that hurts really bad. I move my hand, wiggle my fingers and massage my hand but it doesn't seem to be helping. Is this normal?

No that isn't normal

If the splint isn't too tight you probably have a swelling in the elbow that's compressing a nerve and you need to be seen again by the doctor to re-examine you and to check on that

Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor