Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

It seems I have some sort of limbic imbalance caused by

Customer Question
Hi Pearl, it seems...

Hi Pearl, it seems I have some sort of limbic imbalance caused by withdrawal from Xanax, I initially went to a psychiatrist to help ,but after being prescribed to zoloft and some other anti anxiety drug I realized I don't believe I have depression, just a really foggy brain and hypersensitivity with temperatures. Any over the counter or natural solutions I should be aware of?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

I do not

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Neurology
1/12/2018
Neurologist: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

How long ago did you come off of xanax and how long were you on it?

Have you tried anything for the withdrawal symptoms yet either from OTC or natural home remedies?

i was a once a week user for the last few years, over the last few months it went from once a week to daily accelerating fast up to 10mg or so, I realized there was of course a problem so weened off over the course of 10 days or so, maybe a little too fast for how much I was doing, I noticed these symptoms a few days after I was completely done taking it. The withdrawals started about a week or so ago.I haven't really tried any otc drugs besides what the phychiastirst provided which I don't like and this gnc product called focus fast, I was trying that for the brain fog

Valerian root is one thing that we recommend along with St Johns wort. They don't have to be used together but these might help reset your GABA receptors and Dopamine hormones which have been offset by the xanax usage. I would expect these symptoms to last 2-3 months - but they will gradually improve. I am not familiar with the GNC product but if it's helping you and it has good reviews from other users online it's worth trying.

Where can you pick up those? I live in Las Vegas so any store you say should be around here somewhere. Wow 2 to 3 months, that really sucks considering my jobs all rely on brain concentration, will these two products help with these symptoms immediately?

Whole foods

Fred Myers

Walgreens

Walmart

New Seasons

And yes, these over the counter products I mentioned would help a lot with these symptoms. I'm not sure about immediately but certainly within 2-3 days of using it. I would start with valerian root and if that's not working switch to St Johns wort.

I was considering a cardio work out with a sauna session afterwards but wanted to check with a doctor before doing physical activity, I'm 26 fwiw. Do you think it's fine to try that?
errr 27* jesus

It's incredibly effective to start exercising aggressively - well, what you can tolerate. Because that generally helps with the turnover of your hormones and receptor that much faster.

perhaps my best course of action is follow the above directions and workout every day? I guess I can't be mad, I knew I was hurting my body with the intake, hence why I stopped, definitely didn't think it would be this bad quitting.

That seems like a good idea.

When I go to the store(going to Wal-Mart first since it's closest) how do I describe what I am looking for, is it just a otc pill?

You can use the phrases "Valerian root extract" and "St John wort supplements" and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

perfect, going to head there now. What are the directions for each supplement? should I be taking the before or after the gym ,or does it really not matter?

The directions depend on the manufacturer since each one makes it differently. These aren't FDA regulated so the instructions are written on the bottles as opposed to obtained from medical professionals.

They don't interact with food or exercise so they can be taken irrespective of when you exercise. They don't help yor performance in the gym nor hurt it so can be taken anytime that's best for you.

perfect, and just to clarify these help with both the brain fog and the temperature hypersensitivity(my body can't really feel pain or touch it seems)

Correct, they would help with both which are the side effects of coming off of the xanax.

it's not recommended to take both at the same time just stay try one for a few days and then switch to the other? should I be trying the zoloft as prescribed by the phychiastirst, I really don't feel like I have depression just a couple symptoms i stated above that I need to get rid of

I would recommend starting with valerian root first and if that doesn't seem to be effective switch to St Johns wort.

Zoloft is very hard to come off of, I'm not sure how to answer that question, its' a personal preference perhaps but I would say you always can switch to zoloft later.

That's pretty much why I don't want to take it, it seems to have a lot of side effects that seem pretty rough. I believe that should be everything, I guess maybe it's good to know how long I should try Valeria before switching?
valerian*

I would say that if you don't notice any changes after 3 days on Valerian then it would be safe to switch.

Is it fairly common for these side affects to affect sex drive and perhaps a lack of motivation mainly due to it being overwhelming for pretty small tasks?

Not so much motivation but definitely sex drive and feeling overwhelmed easily.

My motivation has definitely come back quite a bit, just feel a little stuck with the other symptoms. One last question, is there anything I need to be avoiding while going through this phase, alcohol, caffeine etc?

Alcohol will delay your progress. Caffeine won't have any effect on your progress.

perfect, I think I am good to go, I was able to find both at Wal-Mart easily. Valerian root says sleep support and can cause drowsiness and st Johns worth says mood health supplement, it temps me to use st John's first in the day time and then Valerian root at night, thoughts?

Sure, if you prefer you can use St Johns wort first.

I would give SJW about 1-2 weeks to take effect before setting it aside since it takes a little longer to take effect.

first as in don't mix the two and strictly go with st John's with? sorry for the million questions, this should be about it.

No, I wouldn't mix the 2 which is something I mentioned earlier. What's the reason that you like to mix them since you mentioned that before?

I guess I should ask how long I should be taking these as well?

Since we are treating symptoms of feeling foggy and low energy and sex drive changes then I would take them as long as it's necessary for those symptoms to subside which should be about 2-3 months as I mentioned earlier in the post.

I'll stick with initial directions above and go with VR first, I was going to use SJW first since it said mood health and VR at night since it says sleep support, but I guess that isn't wise

Let me know if you have a question regarding that and I'm happy to answer that.

I believe that is everything, do I lose touch when exiting chat or do I have access for a certain amount of days?

I believe you retain access for several days so feel free to post any follow up questions you might have.

Glad I could help.

I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

Yessir, thanks alot Dr Mo!
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD