Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I want to know the procedure for myelography via lumbar

Customer Question
I want to know...

I want to know the procedure for myelography via lumbar injection including RADIOLOGICAL supervision and interpretation lumbosacral

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

The surgerion ordered these test and others have told me what happens. I just want to know from an expert

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had two back surgeries in August of 2017 I am a diabetic. First surgery was to move the last 2 vertras in line,and then it was to correct the siatic nerve pain. next day the pain went to left leg. numeness and tingling from hip tp left knee. my sugrion ordered this test.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Any redness or swelling in the leg?

No swelling in leg Just numbness and tingling on left. tingling is getting better

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Neurology
1/9/2018
Neurologist: Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD) replied 6 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)

Hello. Are your doctors planning on doing the myelogram under fluoroscopy, or is this for a CT myelogram only?

nothing mentioned about fluoroscopy. the other half of test is
radiologic examination spine lumbosacral minimum 4 views

A myelogram is performed by placing a thin needle into the spinal canal into the space which contains the spinal nerves and spinal cord. The spinal cord and nerves are bathed in a water-like fluid called cerebral spinal fluid or CSF. The spinal cord, spinal nerve roots and CSF are contained by a thick tissue layer called the dura matter, through which the needle must pass.

The physician doing the study, or their immediate assistant, will typically discuss the procedure including how the exam is done, the potential risks of the procedure and obtain informed consent.

When undergoing a myelogram, you are usually placed prone (on your stomach) on the myelogram table with your lower back exposed. Your lower lumbar region is thoroughly cleansed with antiseptic solution (either an iodine solution occasionally with additional alcohol or chloroprep sterilizing solution). Using the fluoroscope, the approach to the spinal canal is visualized by the neuroradiologist and local anesthetic is injected into the skin and to the tract the spinal needle will take. After the anesthetic is injected, the spinal needle is placed into the skin and using the fluoroscope for guidance, the needle is directed into the spinal canal through the dura matter into the area where the spinal nerves and CSF are.

When the needle is in the sac where the nerves are (called the thecal sac), needle tip position is confirmed by observing spinal fluid coming through the needle. At this point, a syringe and long extension tube containing the contrast material are connected to the spinal needle and the contrast is slowly injected into the thecal sac where the spinal fluid and contrast bathe the nerve roots and spinal cord.

After injection of an adequate amount of contrast material, several fluoroscopic x-ray images of the spinal canal is obtained (now with contrast in the thecal sac) in order to visualize the spinal nerves and spinal cord. In general the neuroradiologist is obtaining images to demonstrate how structures indent or compress the spinal nerves or spinal cord.

Following the myelogram, a CT scan may be obtained to better evaluate the spine structures that are acting upon or compressing the spinal cord or spinal nerve roots. The CT images provide information that is complementary to the myelogram fluoroscopic images.