Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

About six months ago i experienced dizziness after sitting…

Customer Question
About six months ago...

About six months ago i experienced dizziness after sitting up too quickly, my head went around and around. subsequently a specialist sent me for an MRI, he indicated everything was ok, but questioning dizziness, said blood volume to brain has lessened. well eventually it got OK until two days ago, I am dizzy when i walk, but not when i read or drive. it is maddening, at the back end of results said"global cerebral volume loss with scarttered white matter changes, likely representing small vessel schemic disease". I have been exercising before rising, walk stair up and down, nothing is helping. am i about to have a heart attack?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

My blood pressure is normal, took lisinprl until doctor notice rise in potassium, testing proved otherwise, type 2 diabetes self controlled, macular degeneration, (i am 83). aside from the merrygroround in my my i always feel good. Dad, (heavydrinker) died from multiple strokes. mom, hardening of arteries, died in domestic accident. no heart problems in immediate family.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am 100 lbs, down from 130 but doctor recommended reduction so over the years and after diabetes i loss weight slowly.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Neurology
1/9/2018
Neurologist: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

do you take any medicines?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
only pravastatin for cholesterol
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what else do you need.???
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i would like to receive your response to my problem, but when???
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
when do i get a response?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i didnt get a response, why would i go to another non responsive doctor???
Neurologist: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no, no phone call. just provide the answer to my questions.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
a great scam you got going. bye bye

Thank you for visiting us.

This is not a scam; I can still proceed with an answer for you if you are willing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
please proceed with no further ado

Disregard the phone call prompt --- this is software generated.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
oh and then another $ request, and then another and another, but no responses. yeah, a scam.

Based upon the symptoms you have, and considering the MRI, it is evident that you have Binswanger disease, which means that there was chronic brain ischemia (impaired blood supply) occurring in the distribution of small arteries in the white matter of brain and leading to selective loss of brain tissue.

When this ischemia or chronically impaired blood floe to brain at microcirculation level affects the sub-cortical area of brain (or deep areas of brain) only, then you can have balance problems and dizziness.

When it affects the cortical area, you can have memory problems and other neurological symptoms may appear.

The underlying cause for this to happen is long standing hypertension, cholesterol, diabetes, and congestive heart failure.

There is no curative treatment for this. General approach is to stay healthy; eat healthy, control of risk factors like diabetes, hypertension and cholesterol.

And there are some medications like Prochlorperazine or betahistidine that can help you in controlling dizziness.

Was it helpful?

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)