Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

What is happening when one looses all strength in arms and…

Customer Question
What is happening when...

What is happening when one looses all strength in arms and legs (unable to basically move for approximately 5 hours)?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No swelling. He is a diabetic but his blood sugars were fine. He awoke from sleep in the morning and literally flopped out of bed, unable to use his arms or legs.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. Although he has had low back issues.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Neurology
1/9/2018
Neurologist: drphophalia, Other replied 1 month ago
drphophalia

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

This can be due to;

1) Mini stroke. Also termed transient ischemic attack (/TIA) or transient neurological attack (TNA).

2) Electrolyte derangement.

3) Spinal / back issue.

He should get following investigations;

1) Serum electrolytes

2) Brain, neck and back MRI.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

drphophalia
drphophalia
drphophalia, Other